Sigma Tel Driver Blocking Vista SP1 Update

lexonex

Any PC expert,

Here is the situation. I upgraded my Gateway PC sound system with a Yamaha receiver and JBL speakers. I wanted and successfully ran a digital optical line from my PC to my Yamaha receiver from my PC’s optical jack. However, I did NOT get any sound. The PC’s motherboard did not recognize the optical jack. After calling Gateway support, I finally got an update for my PC which was:

SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC (for 64 bit windows)

Driver Provider: Sigma Tel

Driver Date: 02/28/2007

Driver Version: 6.10.5405.0

Great! I have sound utilizing a “Digital Output Device (S/PDIF)”. HOWEVER, I believe this particular driver has an “issue” with the Vista SP1 update and therefore when I check for “windows updates” there is NONE showing. How do I get this driver updated and enable me to download the Vista SP1 update? Yes, I know I can download the Vista SP1 update manually but, the catch will be NO SOUND.

How can I find or how can I be alerted to an update for this particular driver? Who am I waiting on? MS? Gateway? SigmaTel?

Thanks for your help.

Windows Vista Home Premium

64-bit Operating System

I.E. 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)

Gateway FX510S

Intel® Pentium® D 950 CPU 3.40GHz

800 MHz FSB, 2x2MB cache non-HT EM64T

Intel (Watsonville 2) 975x Motherboard

BIOS WT97510J.15A.2039.2006.0825.0358

(Sound)

Yamaha RX-V361 AV Receiver

JBL Cinema Sound Speakers CS480

SigmaTel High Definition Auto CODEC (for 64bit Windows)

Driver Version 6.10.5405.0

Edited by lexonex

welcome to the forums,

it sounds like really you have 2 issues,

1. SP1 is not showing for you in MS update

2. Your sound drivers are not compatible with SP1 yet

for issue issue 2 is most likely causing issue 1

(check out this post on the vista team blog- http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsv...ws-update.aspx)

you can get out the list of problem drivers Here

here is the issue though

SigmaTel

• For x86-based computers: Sthda.sys - version 5.10.5762.0 or earlier

• For x64-based computers: Sthda64.sys - version 5.10.5762.0 or earlier

SigmaTel

• For x86-based computers: Stwrt.sys - version 6.10.5511.0 or earlier

• For x64-based computers: Stwrt64.sys - version 6.10.5511.0 or earlier

you can go here - http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/138617 to get a newer updated version of your audio driver to test

this one has the 6.10.0.5609 driver release

Well, I tried it. C:\dell\drivers\R167846 and lost all sound and playback devices. I then re-executed C:\Cabs\D20127-001-001\Setup.exe and back to my SigmaTel Driver Version 6.10.5405.0 Sound is back.

I did send some emails to IDT which has “acquired” SigmaTel. News is not good. Bottom line and let me quote “IDT currently does not provide end-user support or drivers for PC Audio products”. Isn’t that sweet? Read for yourself:

http://idt.com/?id=3969

Ok. MS waiting for a driver update that ONLY you can provide. I’ll post when and if I get it……….best of luck to all.

23504559.jpg

Edited by lexonex

Well, I tried it. C:\dell\drivers\R167846 and lost all sound and playback devices. I then re-executed C:\Cabs\D20127-001-001\Setup.exe and back to my Sigma Tel Driver Version 6.10.5405.0 Sound is back.

I did send some emails to IDT which has “acquired” Sigma Tel. News is not good. Bottom line and let me quote “IDT currently does not provide end-user support or drivers for PC Audio products”. Isn’t that sweet? Read for yourself:

http://idt.com/?id=3969

Ok. MS waiting for a driver update that ONLY you can provide. I’ll post when and if I get it……….best of luck to all.

23504559.jpg

MS really doesn't provide drivers, it verifies and will put drivers given to them from OEMs and partners, but that is it, at this point it would see like you are waiting on gateway for those drivers (btw, gateways website = worst site in the world...)

Gateway? your right, I can't find anything on that site. Gateway support did find me my current "working" driver. I did tell them I upgraded to Vista 64bit and they kindly let me know my service contract was now shot.....I tried to buy the Vista upgrade through them but, they were no help. They said that would nullify my service contract too......That Digital Optical line is part of my motherboard.....mmmmmm.....I'll have to wait it out......

FYI: MS does provide drivers. I received an "updated driver" for my monitor through Windows Updates..........Hoping for a HD Audio Driver from ANYONE........

Edited by lexonex

To be continued……….MS is saying that my sound card has nothing to do with not getting the Vista SP1 update and I only need to wait a couple more weeks and I will receive the Vista SP1 update through Windows Automatic Updates.

They offered to walk me through a “manual” Vista SP1 update and I refused. I needed to remove my Trend Micro AV. I answered: “No”. I’m tired of playing MIS tech. I’ll wait for the automatic update.

Since I had them on the phone line I reminded them that the only way I can get Trend Micro AV to scan my PC is to turn “OFF” the UAC. He could not believe that. Believe it.

See you in a couple of weeks………………

Hi Lexonex ,

This is Jenny with Microsoft Windows Technical Support.

It was my pleasure to work with you on your Windows service request 1062199481. I hope that you were happy with the service provided to you.

Based on our last conversation it appears that this service request is resolved and ready to be archived. If this is not correct or if you are not happy with the support we’ve provided please let us know as soon as possible. My goal is to ensure that your experience with Microsoft Windows Technical Support leaves you pleased with our products and services.

Here is a summary of the key points of the service request for your records:

ACTION :tried to install sp1

RESULT :unable to get sp1 through windows updates

CAUSE :sp1 is not yet offered to the computer

RESOLUTION : we found you will be getting the sp1 through windows updates or you can install sp1 manually through microsoft website

If you have any feedback regarding Microsoft support, we would be glad to hear from you. If you would feel more comfortable speaking with someone else regarding my service, shankar, my manager, would be very happy to hear your comments and suggestions.

Like I say.......to be continued......we will see in two weeks..........

Hi Lexonex ,

This is Jenny with Microsoft Windows Technical Support.

It was my pleasure to work with you on your Windows service request 1062199481. I hope that you were happy with the service provided to you.

Based on our last conversation it appears that this service request is resolved and ready to be archived. If this is not correct or if you are not happy with the support we’ve provided please let us know as soon as possible. My goal is to ensure that your experience with Microsoft Windows Technical Support leaves you pleased with our products and services.

Here is a summary of the key points of the service request for your records:

ACTION :tried to install sp1

RESULT :unable to get sp1 through windows updates

CAUSE :sp1 is not yet offered to the computer

RESOLUTION : we found you will be getting the sp1 through windows updates or you can install sp1 manually through microsoft website

If you have any feedback regarding Microsoft support, we would be glad to hear from you. If you would feel more comfortable speaking with someone else regarding my service, shankar, my manager, would be very happy to hear your comments and suggestions.

Like I say.......to be continued......we will see in two weeks..........

Hi,

the problem you are having is just the same as the Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. Dell fit this codec. So no update at the moment but I have heard it,s more of a digital signing problem due to the changeover at Sigmatel. So you are not on your own in waiting for this update. Keep an eye on Dells site as there will be many loud voices if this don,t arrive quickly.

George :hello:

Edited by georgepomone

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=948343#method5

SigmaTel

• For x86-based computers: Sthda.sys - version 5.10.5762.0 or earlier

• For x64-based computers: Sthda64.sys - version 5.10.5762.0 or earlier

SigmaTel

• For x86-based computers: Stwrt.sys - version 6.10.5511.0 or earlier

• For x64-based computers: Stwrt64.sys - version 6.10.5511.0 or earlier

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...p;uid=190778932

Its an IDT driver (not Sigmatel) and its for the Gateway One but works just fine on my Gateway FX400X on Vista x86. will prolly work for you too (looks like it has x64 drivers in the download)

Hello Lexonex,

Our OEM partners have requested that all technical support for their models be handled by the OEM directly. OEM is the Original Equipment Manufacturer and is referring to the Brand Name on your Personal Computer.

Regarding Vista SP1 update:

Microsoft appears to be applying a filter to prohibit a Windows Update installation of SP1 to all audio vendors who load additional applications or use a co-installer with their driver.

Microsoft has made improvements to the core operating system and the audio sub-system architecture, the update replaces their supporting audio files and requires a re-installation of the audio CODEC. The drivers that shipped with your system are compatible with SP1, but will block an automatic Windows Update and will need to be un-installed to allow Windows to upgrade. After the Vista SP1 installation is complete, the audio drivers can be safely re-installed.

To do this:

1. Make sure that there is an IDT audio driver available on your system to re-install.

Many OEMs ship with the drivers on the hard drive; ensure you have a driver available.

If you don't:

Contact the OEM (PC Mfg) and download the available IDT Audio driver for Vista. (The version can be the same as what you already have installed.)

Our OEM partners control the distribution of their drivers and IDT does not provide driver download support.

Make sure you know where the driver is at and can locate it for installation later.

If you cannot obtain a copy of the audio driver for your system, contact your OEM for further support.

2. Un-install the current audio driver

In Control Panel select Classic View

Double click Programs and Features

Uninstall the Audio driver - SigmaTel or IDT Audio

Select the audio device and click on Uninstall

3. Allow Windows to update your system to Vista SP1, or download SP1 and manually install.

4. Once installation is complete - run the audio installation to restore your audio subsystem.

IDT’s OEM partners provide us with detailed feature-set and behavioral specifications for every model. If a feature is not available, this is likely because they chose not to enable it in either software or hardware. SigmaTel/IDT must comply with our Customer’s specifications for their systems.

We are not allowed to distribute OEM drivers to end-users, nor can we make modifications to the drivers outside of these manufacturer’s specifications.

IDT continually updates our OEM customers with new drivers that include bug fixes and new feature requests.

Please check for updates from your PC manufacturer.

Regards,

Xxxx

DL-IDT Azerity Help

PCAudio-Support [pcaudio-support@idt.com]

did you try the driver i linked? My Gateway FX400 wouldnt install SP1, I applied the driver, and applied SP1 and its working great.

No I did not because of this: Operating Systems: Windows Vista (32-bit)

Running 64 bit Vista here. For now, I'm not even trying to manually download the Vista SP1 update. MS is telling me (I guess that is what MS is saying) that the download has nothing to do with my sound card (driver?) and to just wait for the SP1 when it arrives through Windows Automatic Update and then this guy at IDT is saying my driver will interfer with what? Getting the SP1 update at all or just not being able to install the SP1 update? ......I'm just going to wait a few weeks and see if the SP1 update arrives and then try and install it. If I can't, I'll uninstall my SigmaTel driver, try the update and if sucessful re-instal the SigmaTel driver.

I'm doing fine for now. I have sound, my optical line is recorgnized by my system and the SigmaTel 64 bit driver is from the Gateway website (which is working just fine now) which I'll keep in my downloads (I went back to the Gateway website and I'll be damned if I can find it) if and when I need it again.......

Here it is 64 bit driver provided by Gateway Support, I found it: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...ista%20(32-bit)

Under "My Other Downloads"

Windows Vista Home Premium

64-bit Operating System

I.E. 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)

Gateway FX510S

Intel® Pentium® D 950 CPU 3.40GHz

800 MHz FSB, 2x2MB cache non-HT EM64T

Intel (Watsonville 2) 975x Motherboard

BIOS WT97510J.15A.2039.2006.0825.0358

SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC (for 64 bit windows)

Driver Provider: Sigma Tel

Driver Date: 02/28/2007

Driver Version: 6.10.5405.0

Edited by lexonex

I would try that driver even though it says 32bit (i dont think gateway offers 64bit on the gateway one model the driver is intended for)

once you extract it there are a lot of files that appear to be intended for a 64 bit OS

C:\cabs\D20205-001-001\WDM>dir *64.*

Volume in drive C is C Drive

Volume Serial Number is E061-E00A

Directory of C:\cabs\D20205-001-001\WDM

06/22/2007 04:35 PM 5,590,528 idtsg64.cpl

06/22/2007 04:36 PM 177,664 staco64.dll

06/22/2007 04:36 PM 117,760 stacsv64.exe

06/22/2007 04:35 PM 364,032 stapi64.dll

06/22/2007 04:37 PM 648,704 stapo64.dll

06/22/2007 04:37 PM 347,648 stcplx64.dll

06/22/2007 04:35 PM 1,754,624 stlang64.dll

06/22/2007 04:36 PM 425,472 sttray64.exe

07/27/2007 02:13 PM 25,233 STWRT64.cat

07/27/2007 02:13 PM 1,408,526 STWRT64.INF

07/27/2007 02:26 PM 6,794 stwrt64.ini

06/22/2007 04:37 PM 391,168 stwrt64.sys

06/22/2007 04:36 PM 36,352 suhlp64.exe

13 File(s) 11,294,505 bytes

0 Dir(s) 119,149,285,376 bytes free

Id be surprised it thats not your x64 driver right there

To be continued……….MS is saying that my sound card has nothing to do with not getting the Vista SP1 update and I only need to wait a couple more weeks and I will receive the Vista SP1 update through Windows Automatic Updates. ……

Hi, i am new here. I suspect it may have to do with more than the sound card. I cannot install the SP1 either on my Dell E520 with Vista HB. The only offending file is the Sigmatel driver, which was 6.10.0.5290 and is now 6.10.0.5515 (R173209 driver). I have downloaded the stand alone SP1 file twice and from windows update once, but when i run it the license dialog box comes up and the text goes past the margins (you cannot expand the box) and you cannot scroll sideways, nor is there any "I Agree box" at the end. Changing Screen resolutions do not help. The text ends with "EULAID:VistaSP1_R1.0_Upgrade_RTL_en-US." NEXT is not available to click. This happens even in Safe Mode, and with all audio drivers deleted (recycle bin) and disabled in the BIOS. And even after disconnecting the drive with XP on it (dual boot). I cannot remove the sound card as it is part of the mobo. I have no other offending drivers according to the MS list, or strange hardware, and all other available needed updates from Dell or MS are installed.

The free MS support did suggest doing this:

Input the following commands in the DOS Prompt window and press ENTER at the end of each line:

REG ADD HKLM\COMPONENTS /V STORECORRUPTTIMESTAMP /T REG_SZ /D "0" /F

REG DELETE HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\CHECKSUR\

CheckSUR tool for Windows Vista 32-bit

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/0...B947821-x86.msu

Double click on the downloaded file to run the CheckSUR tool and restart the computer to check the results.

If the issue persists, please help to collect the CheckSUR.log file for further research:

This resulted in SP1 being offered thru Windows update, but it still cannot run past the license box.

Still waiting on another reply.