Registry Protection?

Glenn9999

As per the other thread, I'm trying to change my default screen saver. I'm applying the process found here, and the change is shown within regedit, but the change does not seem to take effect within the system (I still get logon.scr). Oddly enough, I can change the screen saver timeout just fine and the change will be reflected.

I figured out that Comodo Defense+ was protecting the relevant key, so I removed that. The only other possibility I could think of was that either there was a registry protection similar to the file protection on certain deemed "critical" keys, or maybe Windows Defender is causing the setting to "hold" to the old one.

So any ideas on what's going on on this one?

We've been through this before in other threads... :)

The .DEFAULT key contains the settings for the logon screen. Any changes you make within that only affect the system when it's sitting at the "Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to Logon" screen (or the Welcome Screen if you use that). It does not contain the settings for the Default User profile.

In order to change the settings of the Default User profile you must load the NTUSER.DAT profile located at %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\Default User\. Make your changes and then unload the profile.

The .DEFAULT key contains the settings for the logon screen. Any changes you make within that only affect the system when it's sitting at the "Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to Logon" screen (or the Welcome Screen if you use that).

Completely understood and that's what I'm trying to change. And I'm seeing those setting changes when it comes to the Timeout value when I change it (I have it set to 15 seconds now and it works perfectly but with LOGON.SCR), but not for SCRNSAVE.EXE. I should add that Doug Knox's Tool to do the same thing (which actually follows the same process as I linked to), does not work as well.

Anyway, what does the default user profile have to do with changing the screen saver on the logon screen?

Anyway, what does the default user profile have to do with changing the screen saver on the logon screen?

Nothing but that's not what you stated in the original post. :)

I'm trying to change my default screen saver.
Edited by nmX.Memnoch