Win98 Install freezing

Conor

I installed Xubuntu on my Win98 machine but it was past the mobo cutoff or something. I reinstalled Win98 (Not SE) and it goes fine until it boots up and freezes at the 'Setting up personalized settings for IE 4.0'.

I reformatted and everything but EVERYTIME I try to reinstall it freezes at the same point. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Stupid question, but are you sure it's not the CD or CD drive at fault? Also check the HDD for bad sectors, MHDD is a great freeware utility and runs off a bootable floppy or CD. If you need any help with it just ask me and i'll help you out.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

Well I'll try and install it to a different PC to see if the disks work, I did clean them. I'm pretty sure the HDDs fine, I installed Ubuntu temporarily and thats fine.

Ok I'm in safe mode, but I can't continue the installation. The cd rom drive is inaccessible 'This folder was moved or removed'

Edited by Conor

check bios settings. for this situations try defaults, but if you dont have fdd drive dont forget to set it up. also take care about drivers. if you casn acess safe mode it means that problem is surely in one driver which may conflit with app.

Do some research about MSDOS cdrom drivers, shouldn't be hard, and install one (try searching for VIDE-CDD.SYS). Then boot to the Command Prompt Only, and type "win /d:m" and Windows should start in safe mode, but with the DOS CD-ROM drivers loaded.