Networking between Vista and XP

Can't quite figure this one out...

I'm trying to get file and printer sharing between a Vista computer and XP that happen to use the same router. The XP is connected via cable, the Vista is wireless.

I've already gotten the TTLD patch for the XP computer, and oddly enough both can 'see' each other when you make a network map or check the workgroup. However, neither shows up in network places on the opposing computer. Both computers are allowing file and printer sharing, so that shouldn't be the issue. How the heck would you go about setting this up?

Assuming you've set up the sharing on the printer, do you have any other firewalls running (ZoneAlarm, Outpost, Kapersky, etc..)? If so, have you tried disabling it? If not, have you tried turning off the built-in windows firewall just to see?

I know you said that file sharing is turned on, but stranger problems have occured

Already tried disabling both firewalls and both computers have been using network discovery. They'll appear in the workgroup and on the network map, but neither appears in the network folder and you can't connect from either the wokgroup or network map windows.

forgive me as I haven't used Vista in great amounts yet, but if you open up whatever the Network Neighborhood is called in Vista and you see the XP machine there and you attempt to open it, what exactly happens?

this just popped into my head to... you don't have AP isolation enabled on that router do you? If I understand the technology correctly, that would basically put Vista out on it's own island, and while it will probably be able to see other systems, it can't access them.

have you tried hooking vista up via a cable to see if it acts any differently?

On vista clicking the icon has no effect. On XP, clicking it results in it working for a while, then telling you it can't find it.

I have tried using cables with both, but again no change. I've also tried setting the network up again from scratch. Oddly, this just keeps happening. At the least I should be able to access the PC's directly by dialing their IP, right?