Stand By causes computer to shut off abruptly

Shep

I had no problem using "Stand By" or "Hibernate" with my desktop computer before, until after I installed this game called Eve Online. That game messed up my computer somehow. Almost like a nasty virus. When I was playing the game, 10-15 minutes into the computer would just "turn off". I thought maybe my power supply was going bad, but a new PSU yielded the same result. Other games I have did not cause the same problem. Then I learned from others who had similar problems after trying Eve Online.

Now, however, when ever I use the Stand By feature on my computer, the system will start the normal process but then it stops abruptly and shuts off. Then I can't turn it back on, unless I have shut the computer off a couple of times.

I think the game messed something up with my boot file or something, but I'm not sure how to fix it. I don't know if the XP repair utility will fix it, or if I'll need to reinstall Windows XP over again. I was hoping someone might know.

My system is an ECS GeForce 6100SM-M motherboard, with an AMD Athlon 2.6 Dual Core AM2. I have a 500 watt PSU from Antec, a SB Audigy, and an EVGA 8600gt. 500gb SATA drive also, 2 gigs of Kingston memory, and XP Pro.

Edited by Shep

I've already checked temperatures, and they are fine. Running at about 30-32C. Plus the computer doesn't turn off on it's own with any other game or program. It was Eve Online only. And now when I try to go to "Stand By" mode, the computer just switches off instead in the process. Something is wrong, but I don't know what.

I have a full tower case with 7 fans blowing into it from all different directions. I'm sure it's cool. The only thing that runs a little hot is my 8600gt SSC at about 59-60C, but that's because it's factory overclocked. Other than that, everything is cool.

It's worth a try to turn all the video options within the game to the very lowest, sounds like you're already 99% sure its not a heating issue, but it can't hurt to try running the game this way.

just a thought

500watts... 7 fans... 8600gt video card...

um... have you tried unplugging the fans and running cooling from an outside power source? may sound dumb... but you never know...

I have seen a pc with 4 fans, and antec 700 watt power supply... same issue. it was the power supply (psu's have become hit or miss as far as I know).

Or....

Is you video card crapping out? 60C is pretty warm... shutting down and hitting power a few times before it 'takes' could also give the hardware enough time to drop 10-20C (depending on situation and scenario). Try a different video card maybe?

If you didn't know, 100C is 212F (214F?)- water boils at this temp. I wouldn't expect an 8600 to take 75-80C for more than 5 minutes perhaps... nor would any other component maintain integrity at these temps for any length of time.

I don't know Eve Online....

Any of these things may help troubleshoot the shutdown during gameplay, but I do find that it shuts itself down while trying to go into standby mode (which is most likely not heat related).

Are any any entries in the event viewer that might help diagnose the problem (errors during the standby process)?