Delete Permission

tagwar

Hi expert people

I have question and i am trust in every one experience

Simply I have share folder on windows 2003 standard edition

And I want to restrict users from deleting files from this share folder

The server is ruining as all in one server DHCP Domain Controller File server and exchange also.

Also how to configure synchronization for this share folder

By the meaning of,

I have the main folder and I want all the data inside this folder to be synchronized to another folder but the second folder not to be shared

Some kind of back

Or more simply hoe to make shadow copy from this share folder to another HD in the same server

Like D drive and E Drive.

I hope to find the answer at your end.

Thanks in advance

Edited by tagwar

The ability to delete files falls in with the "Modify" permission. So, simply don't tick the "Modify" box. :wacko:

Modify permission is unchecked

and still able to delete files

plz note that it was unchecked before I mean it's note matter of time to make the change take effect

Moreover

In advanced option of the share folder I check the box of Deny Delete and it was working fine

But also it prevents the user form renaming the folder or does any changes to it so it was not much helping

I want the user to add and modify folders but not to move or to delete

post-169280-1203996383_thumb.jpg

post-169280-1203996395_thumb.jpg

Edited by tagwar

plz note that it was unchecked before I mean it's note matter of time to make the change take effect

Moreover

In advanced option of the share folder I check the box of Deny Delete and it was working fine

But also it prevents the user form renaming the folder or does any changes to it so it was not much helping

Then you need to go under advanced. "Change" permission implies just that - click that "Advanced" button for more granular control. You're probably looking to allow the list, read, and write permissions but not allow delete. Also note though, that if you remove the delete permission from a share a user may open a document from in Microsoft Office, the user will not be able to save the changes to the document (Office creates a temporary file the user writes to, usually with the name "~<whatever the file name is>", and when it goes to actually save a document or changes to it, it deletes the ~ file and commits them to the actual document. However, the document delete will fail, and the save will likely fail also. If it works, you'll have a ~<filename> file left behind, for every document open, not just edit - opening the document by itself creates this file).

If you don't use Office or don't allow Office docs in this share, it won't be an issue. Just a heads-up.

Moreover

Then you need to go under advanced. "Change" permission implies just that - click that "Advanced" button for more granular control. You're probably looking to allow the list, read, and write permissions but not allow delete. Also note though, that if you remove the delete permission from a share a user may open a document from in Microsoft Office, the user will not be able to save the changes to the document (Office creates a temporary file the user writes to, usually with the name "~<whatever the file name is>", and when it goes to actually save a document or changes to it, it deletes the ~ file and commits them to the actual document. However, the document delete will fail, and the save will likely fail also. If it works, you'll have a ~<filename> file left behind, for every document open, not just edit - opening the document by itself creates this file).

If you don't use Office or don't allow Office docs in this share, it won't be an issue. Just a heads-up.

i really apprciate your help

but i already remove the check from delete box and also remove the check from delete subfolders

and also all the users still able to delete

i try to deny the permission but it deny completly by the meaning of

i can creat folder in the share folder but even i can't rename it "it stay with the name of new folder"

i try to delete but obvisley it will be denyed.

i hope some oe can help me more in this matter

thanks for every one replayed.

and still need more help

but i already remove the check from delete box and also remove the check from delete subfolders

Then some permission is still allowing the user to delete. Whom is the user (for example) you are having this problem with, and can you provide a screenshot of the "advanced" button output for that folder?

Then some permission is still allowing the user to delete. Whom is the user (for example) you are having this problem with, and can you provide a screenshot of the "advanced" button output for that folder?

here we go

i made group and all this group should have the same permission

i made also test account as normal user but still have the same problem

post-169280-1204102979_thumb.jpg

First, remove the "Users" group, as they have more rights than the group you appear to try to be locking down. Next, show us the Advanced output, including the full list of permissions for that group. Click Edit, then Advanced.

First, remove the "Users" group, as they have more rights than the group you appear to try to be locking down. Next, show us the Advanced output, including the full list of permissions for that group. Click Edit, then Advanced.

Dear Cluberti

I really apprciate your patient with me to solve this problem :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I did as you told me

Users group removed and I am attaching the required screen shoot

I hope this help

Other wise tell me how to create new share folder with proper permission from the beginning

Or give me any link discuses the same

please note the last 2 permission and the first also not checked

And thanks very much again

post-169280-1204167456_thumb.jpg

Edited by tagwar

Honestly, I totally missed this - I went away for a few days, and it got buried off of the first page. Sorry 'bout that. As far as I can tell, those permissions should keep a user in that group from deleting anything unless he/she is a member of another group that has more permissions.

I generally create a share by setting up NTFS permissions on the share as I need to, then I create the actual share with the permissions set to "Everyone / Full Access" - since the lowest permission level between NTFS and Share permissions take precedence, only people with NTFS access rights can do anything on the share and I don't have to worry that restrictive share permissions could be causing any access problems I have.

As to what you are doing there, the only way a user should be able to delete now is if they're also in another of those groups that has the right. It looks good from what I can see. You might want to kill the CREATOR OWNER permissions though, as it allows a higher level of permissions for the user that created a file in the share than what you want them to have.

I really don't know where the mistake is

Ok no problem

Let’s start from the beginning

I want to create new shared folder with no delete permission.

Only domain admin can do this delta

Please give me the guide or the steps how to do this starting from the hard disk NTFS permission and inherent this to the shared folder

I hope to get answer soon

Appreciate every response in advance