GeForce 9800 GTX specs - hopefully this is not true

Thunderbolt 2864

The 9800GX2 is dual PCB. AnandTech.com has a review. After reading the review, it looks like the better option is to save a couple hundred bucks and purchase a pair of 9600GT's to run in SLI (provided you don't have an Intel chipset based system other than Skulltrail).

BTW, dual GPUs on a card is still no reason to go to a new naming convention. They didn't do it with the GeForce 7 series. :)

I don't even think Hybrid SLI is a reason...especially since they have been talking about it since the early GF 8 days.

But that's just my opinion. :)

2. Hybrid SLi - allows integrated GPU to be on, or integrated + discrete in SLi.
If it only would work on any of the present chipsets; ATI too is screaming this out loud for some time... never saw any thing in practice. When they are relay "ready" for it I will switch my systems here for hybrid SLI/Cross-fire, would save me some big bucks in the energy* bill :).

EDIT: * And lower noise/temperatures too.

I don't even think Hybrid SLI is a reason...especially since they have been talking about it since the early GF 8 days.

They mentioned it was not possible on the early GF8 cards. Something about not being able to power down and restart the card as needed.

I think they renamed to avoid confusion. I would buy the 9xxx series. It better be priced the same as the current 8xxx series though.

Whats the power supply requirements if you want to run two 9800 GX2 on your system?

I'm well aware that you need at least 1000 watts if you want to SLI two 8800's, but what about the 9800 GX2?

I've heard good reviews about this card and I'm leaning towards this card, too bad my hopes were dashed when I saw the "official" specs of the 9800 GTX. But what I've heard so far that the requirements for the GX2 are very demanding. I'm also well aware that you can't run a quad SLI for the GX2 and has anti aliasing issues at the moment, due to poor driver support, but of course, we'll have to wait for NVIDIA to write better drivers in the future.

Edited by Thunderbolt 2864

#1 The entire 9xxx series is based upon the G92 chipset, which Nvidia released as the 8800GT and the updated 8800GTS, so you're not going to see massive improvements over these cards, but you will see higher prices.

#2 More bits aren't always better, there is a point of diminishing returns and lets not forget if instructions don't use all the bits, then the rest go to waste. IOW if Nvidia implemented a 1024bit bus right now, it would be slower than your current 256bit bus, because so much is just going to waste.

#3 I'm mildly disappointed that the new G9x chipset doesn't do DX10.1, not because I want DX10.1 games, but because Microsoft secretly updated everybody's Vista to DX10.1 when you install SP1. So now we have an OS which everybody has a certain version of DX (no more manually installing a new version) and now Nvidia doesn't even support it. Not a problem today, but I see this possibly becoming a headache a couple years from now.

#3 I'm mildly disappointed that the new G9x chipset doesn't do DX10.1, not because I want DX10.1 games, but because Microsoft secretly updated everybody's Vista to DX10.1 when you install SP1. So now we have an OS which everybody has a certain version of DX (no more manually installing a new version) and now Nvidia doesn't even support it. Not a problem today, but I see this possibly becoming a headache a couple years from now.

I think this is going to be a much smaller issue that you think. Even Microsoft says that there isn't that much in the ".1" update.

What are the changes? DX 10.1's goals are to offer the "complete" DX 10, giving developers better control over image quality and making mandatory some of the things that are optional in DX 10. For example, 32-bit floating point filtering is optional in DX10 (16-bit FP filtering is mandatory), but will be mandatory in DX 10.1. Also, in DX 10, the number of multisample anti-aliasing samples is optional--DX 10.1 will make 4x AA mandatory, and require two specific sample patterns. Graphics cards can offer more sample patterns, and developers can query them in their shaders. Graphics cards that are DX 10.1 compliant will have to offer programmable shader output sample masks and multisample AA depth readback. Game developers will be able to index into cube maps and perform bitwise copies from uncompressed textures to block-compressed texture formats.

ADVERTISEMENT

Actually...

DX 10.1 is going back to the way they used to do things (e.g. DX 8 -> DX 8.1)...and is proper for software IMO. At least the major version is still 10 and they didn't go straight to DX 11.

What NVIDIA did was went from "8" to "9" on the same core. Did they add some features? Sure, but they aren't major features or enhancements, they're additions to the existing product. If you equate that to software, it would be from 8.0 to 8.1 (or, as I stated before, this would be 8.2 since they've already released "8.1" (65nm 8800's)).

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Well, here are the benchmarks for the 9800 GTX comparing to other cards:

http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?...mp;pagenumber=1

Very disappointing indeed. Even a 8800 GTX can do better. Wasn't expecting a performance jump when I saw the official specs anyway, and NVIDIA should be ashamed of themselves for releasing a card that is inferior to its predecessors. What a joke.

In other news, GT200 is rumored to be released in July. Here is the source:

http://sg.vr-zone.com/articles/NVIDIA_GT20...In_Q3/5684.html

Hopefully this is true, and the specs better be good. Hopefully its not going to be another 256 bit memory bus like the G92.

If any of you cared, the 9800 GTX is finally out. With GT200 coming out, what was the point of the 9800 series.

what was the point of the 9800 series.

1. Hybrid Power aka Hybrid SLi which was not available on the 8xxx series.

2. Improved Purevideo decoding.

3. Cheaper price, runs cooler.

Its basically a 8800Ultra level card at half the price it was originally. It has a way higher bang for buck.

Its not an enthusiast card, its a little more mainstream. If you're disappointed with it, there's always the 9800GX2.

There's more money to be made when the products are affordable. Not many people buy the 9900SuperTurboUltraLE editions.

I found a very good review here: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx_9800gtx/

Edited by brucevangeorge