Interesting feature in Calculator...

flarn2006

Open the Run dialog box (Start->Run) and type calc /setup and the screen will say 0.e+0. Then if you try to type any numbers (in Decimal mode, not other bases) it will just beep and not type anything. If you type a number after it (i.e. calc /setup 4) it will limit you to that number of digits (i.e. 4).

Try it. What do you think this feature is for? Why do you think it was put in?

NOTE: I have only tried this on the Windows XP Home SP2 version of Calculator. Although it probably does, I cannot be sure if it works in other versions of Windows. So if you don't have XP, don't go posting saying I'm lying! But do post why you would be in the XP forum in the first place! :)

EDIT: If you type in calc /developer instead, it will do the same thing except you cannot specify a number after it. (Well you can, but it won't do anything!)

EDIT: It's actually calc /develop and then you can specify a number at the end.

Edited by flarn2006

You can substitute the word help for setup and get the same behavior as for setup.

DL

With developer, you can place a number at the end and it will still display 0.e+0 but with help if you place a number after it it just gives normal behavior.

So, here is the current list of words that trigger this:

• setup (flarn2006)
  • developer (flarn2006)
  • help (DL)

Edited by flarn2006

MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH!

It turns out that anything ending in the letter 'P' will work. This is probably because the switch was programmed as calc /p So what do you think could begin with 'P' that has anything to do with this feature? :blink: