WMP and Real Media format

xtremee

Hi all,

I'm wonder why Microsoft don't let WMP play real media format. Is Microsoft don't know how? i doubt that as there a lot of player that can play all media format!

Is there is any agrement between Microsoft and Real Compnay? and if it there Why Real company let Real Media Player play all the format including those of Microsoft?

Also i notice that Winamp don't support Media format!!!

:wacko:

P.S.I know there is a codec (Real Alternative) that can let real format to run with WMP.

ok first off, realmedia is crap. always has been. realplayer is one of the most bloated annoying pile of advertisement ever to be created. (its seriously worse than some spyware) Im sorry but it had to be said.

I can almost guarantee the reason why WMP wont play Real is a legal reason. Reals entire business model involves people buying and using their player. Real Alternative hasnt been sued into oblivion because they arent making money off of Real and any case Real could bring would have to prove loss of revenue as a result of RA and real has very little to gain by suing RA. If MS integrated Real support without permission, it would prolly be the best thing that ever happened to Real because they could probably sue the heck out of MS.

That is right for Microsoft but Why Real support Microsoft formats in Real Player?! if it was a domination problem on the market.

Also Why Winamp don't support real format?!

Winamp don't have its format so why not support?!

The most thing that i like Real format is its small size comparing to other formats also real format is good with streaming. (Flash also is good)

That is right for Microsoft but Why Real support Microsoft formats in Real Player?! if it was a domination problem on the market.

The more formats RealPlayer supports, the bigger the chance is that people will use this software, the more people Real can spread their advertisements and such to, so the more money Real will make.

Also Why Winamp don't support real format?!

Winamp don't have its format so why not support?!

See the reply by "geek", it's because of legal reasons. If they would want to support Real Media, no doubt that they would have to pay for it.

See the reply by "geek", it's because of legal reasons. If they would want to support Real Media, no doubt that they would have to pay for it.

I don't think that a lot of players spread everywhere over the internet pay to Real to support real format.

for example check Windows Media Classic, Crystal Player, JetAudio... etc

I don't think that a lot of players spread everywhere over the internet pay to Real to support real format.

Indeed, there are plenty of free players around which support Real format. Please note the word free. Winamp is not free, you have to pay for the full package, so if Winamp make money off it, Real wants a share. There are also various players around which illegally support Real format.

I dont think those players natively support playback of Real formats, they just accept the filetypes to be loaded and then try to load a filter or splitter for the media. I know for Media Player Classic you have to either install Real or Real Alternative which includes the Real decoder binaries just stripped of the player. I bet if you associate the Real formats with Windows Media Player and install the decoders it will playback fine, of course its not officially supported by Microsoft. ;)

Software patents is the issue to consider in this topic

NO

I post this topic as i don't know why Microsoft don't support real formats? as there are a lot of player that do this job.

i don't wanna to make any software patents

NO

I post this topic as i don't know why Microsoft don't support real formats?

Perhaps because Microsoft do not have permission to support real formats.

as there are a lot of player that do this job.

They would have permission or they are liable to be sued.

i don't wanna to make any software patents

And no one is asking you to, nor was it ever mentioned that you needed to.

By any chance, if you consider creating your own media player to distribute, then I would suggest seeking legal advice before doing so as I consider that you do have not enough knowledge to understand what you would be getting yourself into. Microsoft would be aware of such legal implications with patented codecs so I guess they choose not to support RealNetworks codecs.

but Why don't Winamp support don't support real format?

may be as you say that they need a License for that !!

I am going to guess that because WinAmp is commercial, that they are a target for compensation if they use the codec. Same as Microsoft are commercial and would be a target for doing the same. You cannot make much money to sue freeware media players so they are maybe safe. As far as Microsoft would go, why would they support a rival commercial codec anyway while they have their own codecs in competition. What I have said are assumptions on knowledge without absolute proof so hopefully I am not misleading anyone.