Preventing Windows 95 OSR 2.1 from installing USB support

Ambassador

My friend has a couple of old laptops. The older of the two is an old Hitachi notebook equipped with a Pentium 1 (no MMX :blink: ), 1.73 GB hardrive (because of bad sectors), and an old removable CD drive that can't read almost all CD-Rs and RWs. It doesn't have USB, a modem, or a floppy disk drive. After careful consideration, I decided Windows 95 OSR 2.1 is the most appropriate choice, especially since I have it on CD. Following instuctions I found on the web, I am able to remove Internet Explorer 3.0, and other unnessary Internet addons. However, I want to remove even more. Since this laptop will never have USB, is there someway I can remove the USB support included with OSR 2.1 before or after (preferably before) installation? And does anyone have any other suggestions on how to lighten the installation?

For default installation of Win95 OSR 2.1, it will NOT install the USB supplimental driver for USB support unless you install it manually.

So, there is no need to remove it since it hadn`t installed.

PS: I am also using and old Hitachi laptop now, and writting this post from it.

Which is an old model with Pentium 75Mhz w/ 48M RAM & 2G HDD...

For default installation of Win95 OSR 2.1, it will NOT install the USB supplimental driver for USB support unless you install it manually.

So, there is no need to remove it since it hadn`t installed.

I assume then that the USB suppliment is located on the CD somewhere?

PS: I am also using and old Hitachi laptop now, and writting this post from it.

Which is an old model with Pentium 75Mhz w/ 48M RAM & 2G HDD...

I think mine may even be older than that :blushing: . It has a weird montor design that slides across the base instead of the conventional "suitcase" design.

I assume then that the USB suppliment is located on the CD somewhere?

Yes. It's called 'Usbsupp.exe' in \Other\Usb. BTW, this not only installs USB support, but also AGP support.

Edited by Mijzelf

I think mine may even be older than that :blushing: . It has a weird montor design that slides across the base instead of the conventional "suitcase" design.

Err... I bet that we have the same model....

Here is my old laptap look like:

90.jpg

And this is the BIOS setup screen:

85.jpg

The machine has 16M RAM originally, and I have installed the 32M RAM board for it:

07.jpg

So, same machine, right?

Err... I bet that we have the same model....

Here is my old laptap look like:

And this is the BIOS setup screen:

The machine has 16M RAM originally, and I have installed the 32M RAM board for it:

So, same machine, right?

Lol. Yep, same machine, right down to the colour of the cabinet and the placement of the "Intel Inside" Pentium sticker. Since that is the case, I have a few questions specifically for you:

- Did you replace the orignal CD drive, or do you still have the original one? If it is the orignal one, does it have a problem reading burnt CD-Rs? And if that is the case, have you found a solution to this problem?;

- Is yours equipped with an infared device, and if so, do you know where I could find a compatible driver or software for Windows 95 OSR 2.1?;

- Do you know the model name/number? I have looked all over the cabinet but have not been able to find one;

- Does yours suffer from crappy screen refresh, in which the mouse streaks across the screen? If not, did you find a way to fix it?; and finally

- Do you know what operating system was originally installed on these systems? Though I suspect Windows 95.

Thanks

Edited by Ambassador

BTW, this not only installs USB support, but also AGP support.

Please tell me more. (even though my 3D card works great as it is now)

There's not much to tell. I once reinstalled my W95 system, and then I couldn't install my videocard driver, while the same driver worked before. After (long) searching I found that I had to install the USB supplement first. After this, the card was recognized. Alas I never found this documented by MS, but when you google for it, you can find many 3th party documents like this.

When you don't install usbsupp the videocard can be recognized as a PCI card. I don't know if AGP support in this case really adds extra performance.

Hi Ambassador,

Sorry for my late reply.

Here I will try to answer your quiz as I can.

1) So sorry that I don't have the CD-Drive with my old Hitachi laptop, it only come with the removable Floppy Drive... So I installed OS via the bulit-in AMD 10Mbps LAN under DOS by Bart's Network Boot Disk

But if you can show me the model number of the CD-Drive under Device Manager, I may help you to find out if your drive could support CDR reading or not.

2) Yepp, mine has the bulti-in IR port, too. But so sad that it is not IrDA/ASKIR compatible. It is HPSIR standard, it means that it is a REAL RS-232 over IR.

You can install the driver for it manually in control panel -> Add New Hardware, anc choose the standard IR port device (Not PNP)

(Note: HAVEN'T TESTED in this way, since I only use the IR port with my old HP 100LX Plamtop which is also has a HPSIR IR Port, I use it has no problem since the HP Tranfer file "think" it as normal COM port)

3) The model number of this Hitachi laptop is differ from by its Pentium MHz's speed, you can find the info here:

FLORA NM1 (Sorry, Japanese only)

And mine is Hitachi 5NM01-162MA*1

Also here is the BIOS update for it to make the machine comptaible with WIN98 SE (BIOS lower than 1.09 has problem with 98), you may have interested:

FLORA NM1 BIOS UPDATE

4) Well, the LCD of my is 640 x 480 DSTN... So.... crappy screen refresh is a MUST (Sigh). The only way to make the pointer read easier is turn on the mouse shadowing in Control Panel -> Mouse (Sorry, I dunno the exact naming of it since I installed Chinese Windows for my laptop)

5) According to different models, different OS has been preinstalled to the machine.

In the bottom of the page that I provided to you above has listed the preinstalled OSs (Sorry, japanese again).

Here I can translate some for you:

Windows 95A (PC-5NM01-475LA/263LA/262LA/162MA)

Win 3.1 + DOS 6.2 (PC-5NM01-475L5/263L5/262L5/162L5)

Finally, since Hitachi Laptop was sold in Japan only, so the keyboard layout is japanese, after you install english OS on it, you may discover that the key mapping is not correct... Here is the link you have interested to make the key mapping is the same as printed & typed:

Japanese Keyboard Support for English Windows95

Hope can help, Cheer