\minint\system32\config\system is corrupted.

hello, please can I have some advice. I am trying to repair an acer t180 with xp media os for a niece. she had it for a year using msn with no anti-virus! it ground to a halt and she didn't create a backup disk and the alt+f10 does not work. First NTLR was missing so I used a friends xp pro cd to start the rec/console and copy ntlr files now the problem I have is \minint\system32\config\system missing or currupt. I cannot use the recover cd as it needs 2nd cd (she saw the message to create, but never got round to it). I would be very gratefull for some help.

thank you

If you can create a BartPE cd on someone else machine you can possibly recover the missing.corrupt system file from the System recovery backup that was last created. Or backup the system and reload it. You may be able to contact acer to get a copy of the media.

Firstly can I thank you for your help, it is much appreciated. can I create a BartPE from my computer I am guessing not as it is vista. I tried acer they are very unhelpful just suggesting to send it back for repairs. I can access my recovery disk (xp media was my original os) can I copy files from this?

Wait a minute, once you have the right NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and correct entries in boot.ini, it should not search on \minint\, but rather on the original %SystemRoot% (usually \Windows\).

Check (or post) the contents of BOOT.INI.

You can make a Recovery Console CD in (almost) no time, by using the floppies available from Microsoft, read here:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/Recovery-Console-t2254.html

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

It shoud be the same, but you should make sure you have the same "level" of it, expecially if you copy back to the HD any file.

I.e., if you have XP SP1 installed on the PC, use Recovery Console from XP SP1, if you have XP SP2, use RC from XP SP2....

From RC, you should be able to issue the command:

TYPE C:\BOOT.INI

if BOOT.INI is set as Hidden or System or both you might need to use the ATTRIB command before to make it visible.

Post the contents of boot.ini

jaclaz

In RC, TYPE is a command, like DIR or ATTRIB, if you type HELP (and press [Enter] key) you will see a list of availanle commands, what I meant was type (in the sense of press the keys):

TYPE C:\BOOT.INI

not type (in the sense of press the keys):

C:\BOOT.INI

jaclaz