Guide: how can I Create and update the BDD Deployment point (OSD/ZTI).

The original guide (with screenshots) is here. Please note that this is Step six of 18 steps to carry out Zero Touch from start to finish.

This guide assumes that you have first created an OSD capture CD and then Captured a Vista image (wim). Next you should have imported that captured Vista image into BDD, and then updated BDD with your Windows PE and XP OS files. You should then have created a new build in BDD for the captured WIM image.

In Deployment Workbench, expand Deploy and then select Deployment Points. Right click Deployment Points and choose New. When the wizard appears select SMS 2003 OSD as the deployment type and click next.

post-19-1037246939_thumb.jpg

Give your deployment point a description

post-19-1037247119_thumb.jpg

and then make sure to give it a share name (in the screenshot below I name the share ZTI2$ as I already have OSD setup and running on ZTI$)

detonator_lock.reg

next decide how you want USMT to control users data backup, and then click create.

post-2-1037447394_thumb.png

Finally it will prompt you for the location of the SMS OSD scripts, which by default at in X:\SMS\OSD where X is the drive you installed SMS on.

batmfan_forever_alternate.ttf

Once done, we'll get a message that the deployment point is now created but that we must configure the Windows PE options.

post-2-1037587844_thumb.jpg

To configure the Windows PE options we can now right click on our new build in Deployment Workbench, and choose Properties.

Select the builds tab. If you have more than the OSD build we just created (for example if you already have a light touch build added) then you may see a RED Exclamation mark flashing, it does this because by default Deployment Workbench will auto-select ALL build ID's available, even though it can only use OSD builds.

So DESELECT the non-OSD builds and the red exclamation mark should disappear.

Next click on the Windows PE 2004/2005 tab and once again you'll see red flashing exclamation marks.

post-36-1037709523_thumb.png

use the drop down menus and select the Windows PE 2004/2005 as the first option and Windows XP SP2 as the second as I show here. Click OK to finish.

post-36-1037712265_thumb.png

Now that it's all configured, you must update the Deployment point by right clicking on our deployment listed and choose Update.

post-36-1037716591_thumb.png

Once complete, you should now see something like this in your Deployment Workbench.

post-36-1037738076_thumb.gif

Edited by anyweb

hi and thank you :)

the screenshots are in the original post

as it says here

"The original guide (with screenshots) is here. Please note that this is Step six of 18 steps to carry out Zero Touch from start to finish.. "

if you click on that link can you see the screenshots ? if not I may have to edit some permissions so please do let me know

I put a lot of work into those 18 steps and they are all done now as you can see here

if a moderator or someone with a lot of time feels like editing each of my posts here to include the screenshots then go ahead, but i will point out that any changes (errors for example) will be made on the original site first.

My reason for sharing this information is because I found it next to impossible to find it neatly laid out anywhere prior to doing it myself, and the information that was out there was missing vital information to glue the other bits together.

The satisfaction of getting Zero Touch to work though is great :)

cheers

anyweb

Edited by anyweb