Installed XP, but switching users cause Internet to go down,

angel

I finally was brave enough to format my harddrive with two years of saved stuff. (I did back everything up, but still you can't save everything.)

I followed everyone's advice in this forum, formatted, used fdisk, etc. and installed XP.

Everything was going smoothly....until.... I selected "Switch Users". My Starband Internet connection would not work on the new user (I know everyone has be an admistrator) The connection was lost because the Satellite Accelerator stopped working when switching users. I know this is a Starband problem, BUT when I click on Reset the Salellite Accelerator...the computer COMPLETELY AND IMMEDIATELY shuts off.

Therefore, I cannot use the "Switch User Option". Now I CAN select "Log off" and then go to another user and the starband internet works ok (except one time it caused a crash just selecting "Log off") .

The other MAJOR problem associated with this whole thing is that EVERY time I reboot, CRASH or NOT, the MS dialog box comes up and tells me I have a "serious error" and should report this to MS (which I did once).

How do I get rid of this message each time I reboot?

Are there any other issues out there caused by Switching Users that would help me solve this problem? Starband DOES NOT provide support for XP.

Angel (Nothing ever comes easy!)

Your PC crashes and hangs because Starband's technology is technically different from the standard internet protocol 802.1 that XP is built on. You may access the internet through your sat and surf almost like anyone else using a standard dial-up connection with limitations. The limitations are listed at starband.com in the FAQ sections for your reference. Switching user accounts sends a string of scripts to your sat system that cannot be authenticated using the 802.1x protocol. For now you have to live with it until starband applies a software patch in XP and the modem's firmware. The good news is Microsoft is one of the three major shareholders of StarBand meaning a solution may be forthcoming. Maybe!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...&ID=KB;;q311787 is a Microsoft Knowledgebase Article with a brief technical explanation that may be of help to you.

Your system may also need more time to shut down processes when switching user accounts. How-To is found here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;;q305788

Keep in mind that XP executes an automatic restart in the event of a system failure. This is logged in a file and you are asked if you would like to report it to Microsoft. Disabling the “restart on system failure” feature may permit the exact cause to be isolated: Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “System reboot.”

Hope this helps.

MSNwar - The FatMan

[b:1bab81060b]Angel-[/b:1bab81060b]You said it youself in an old post..Starband is not yet supported by Xp...i guess you found out why! If i were you i would contact M$ and Starband asking for and fixes or dates in whch a patch might be available.

Goodluck

-Drew

[b:38fdfcf0d2]Angel[/b:38fdfcf0d2] - to get rid of the error reporting

1. Open Control Panel

2. Click on Preformance and Maintenance.

3. Click on System.

4. Then click on the Advanced tab

5. Click on the error reporting button on the bottom of the windows.

6. Select Disable error reporting.

7. Click OK

8. Click OK

When I turned off Report to MS, and don't auto reboot, I got the message "This page is locked" or something similar.

I found some users on the Starband forum that are using the "Switch Users" option without problem.

So, I'm still trying to see if there is a solution. I can turn off Fast User Switching and just use the Log On, Log Off option, but maybe there is a memory resident program that won't shut down causing the problem in Fast User Switching.

MY QUESTION: Where is the option in XP to check or uncheck memory resident background tasks. I can see them in the task manager, but can't select the ones I want to use. In Win98, there was this option in System Info. But I can't find it in XP.

Does anyone know where to find that option?

Angel