Timed Shutdown Screen Saver

Glenn9999

I posted this here because this seemed the best place (not sure of any better)...anyhow, is there any interest in a screen saver that runs another screen saver for a set time and then shuts down the computer (like if someone walks away from it a while)? I about have it finished for my sake, just was wondering if there was any interest in something like this for posting it here.

Edited by Glenn9999

this is kinda what im looking for but not exactly. i have 2 PCs on my desk -my new vista machine connected to my monitor via DVI and my old XP machine that has had issues recently with the screensaver not starting.

the problem comes in when Vista activates the screensaver, 15 minutes goes by and powers off the screen. The monitor detects no input on DVI and switches to VGA where it proceeds to attempt to burn the XP desktop into my 24" LCD monitor :} (please no one tell me LCD burn-in doesn't occur -I have a 19" LCD in my office with a sunflower desktop wallpaper permanently burnt into it that begs to differ) besides the terror of seeing a ghost XP desktop for the rest of this monitors life, i have to access the menu on the monitor to switch it back to DVI when i return to my desk.

If this program could be modified to start the blank screen screensaver after the interval specified, that would prevent the monitor from switching and let me use a screensaver on this machine again (im using 'blank screen' with a modified power profile at the moment)

If this program could be modified to start the blank screen screensaver after the interval specified, that would prevent the monitor from switching and let me use a screensaver on this machine again (im using 'blank screen' with a modified power profile at the moment)

After I posted this, I had the thought to set an option in it as to what to do (Standby, Hibernate, Log off, maybe even start the blank screen saver like you suggest - in addition to shutting down the computer). It should be easy enough to do once I get the chance to sit down and finish it up.

I'll just go ahead and post it to this thread when I get it to the point I'm happy with it.

I posted this here because this seemed the best place (not sure of any better)...anyhow, is there any interest in a screen saver that runs another screen saver for a set time and then shuts down the computer (like if someone walks away from it a while)? I about have it finished for my sake, just was wondering if there was any interest in something like this for posting it here.

shutsaver01.jpgshutsaver02.jpg

My kids are constantly walking away from the computer and leaving it on all day long. This would be a great thing for me. If there is a link to download it from I would like to give it a try.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a 1st release. I haven't run into issues myself, but by all means let me know how things go if you try it, either way.

copy it into the Windows\System32 directory (if XP) or Windows\System (if 98/ME) to install.

Edited by Glenn9999

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Glenn. Great idea for a screensaver. I just have one small problem with it though. :)

When I use the screensaver at the logon screen i.e. when there isn't anyone logged onto the computer, I get the error shown below.

33690785qo9.png

These are the settings I use in the registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\SShut]

"SSaveName"="logon.scr"

"Sh_Timeout"=dword:0000000a

"Sh_Action"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]

"ScreenSaveTimeOut"="60"

"ScreenSaveActive"="1"

"SCRNSAVE.EXE"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\ssshut.scr"

What do you think would cause this problem?

What do you think would cause this problem?

It would seem when no one is logged in (i.e. as a default screen saver), there is no assigned right for a running program to shut down the system. To shut down a system via software, you have to have the assigned rights as a user to be able to do it. The program assigns those rights before it shuts down. But since there is no user right to assign (i.e. no user to assign those rights to), you see the message you are seeing. See the Microsoft Page on this error for more details.

Does it work without problem if you were to set the action to black screen (just to clarify that I'm on the right track)?

(I'll look into fixing this for the next revision)

I've just tried it with the blank screen screensaver (scrnsave.scr) but unfortunately I still get the same error message.

Thanks for looking into this for me. I really appreciate it. :)

Edited by aceuk

I've just tried it with the blank screen screensaver (scrnsave.scr) but unfortunately I still get the same error message.

What I was asking was whether it worked for not if you set the "action" in the configuration to "Black Screen" instead of "Shutdown"...

Hopefully I can look into this and a couple of other things very soon.

This could be somewhat useful. But I would like it to have an option to make the monitor go to standby rather than using a screensaver (the screen is still fully powered on with a screensaver).

This could be somewhat useful. But I would like it to have an option to make the monitor go to standby rather than using a screensaver (the screen is still fully powered on with a screensaver).

I'm not sure I understand. The idea is more for to do something with the system so the power requirements will be eliminated/reduced if it is left for a certain period of time unattended. I know many people/places where the computer tends to be left on - the screen saver is an ideal enough solution to do whatever it is. I started out with shutdown, and moved to all the other options.

As far as sending the monitor to standby, is that functionality already not in the Power Options? However, this program will send the whole system to standby in the time period if you were to set it. If there is a concern of the screen saver even running, I guess you could always set it to one minute - you would mainly see the countdown screen that aceuk posted.

(and yes I know the Black Screen option does not turn the monitor off, but as you saw in this thread, it was a requested feature)

'Black Screen' as the action doesn't produce the error. Sorry for the confusion, Glenn.

Not a problem, thank you for checking into it. That confirmed the problem for me.

Putting the monitor in standby is already in the power options yes, but that wasn't what I meant.

What I meant was the option of using standby rather than a screensaver as the first step (Set screensaver to run: Standby), then after the set time the system would perform the action selected by the user.

Thanks for looking into this for me. I really appreciate it. :)

It seems to me, unless I'm missing something (and I've been known to do that from time to time), that the screen saver would not be possible under WinLogon. The necessary permissions are not in the main super-user account (the NT kernel's version of Root in Linux - SYSTEM), which runs when the system is booted up. It seems I can't find a way to add those permissions, either (programmatically or through registry). The program could probably (again my guess) impersonate a logged on user to do it through the shutdown app, but it would need to prompt for a user account and (if necessary) password for that to happen - not sure that's too wise from a security standpoint.

I can understand the limitations, though, since it is the super-user account and would effectively bypass all authorizations and security if were possible to add privileges (the malware author's dream). But the odd thing about it is this: NT doesn't stop you from setting SCRNSAVE.EXE in this case to whatever you would like that would run. Perhaps the most ludicrous and silly/stupid thing you could do is set it to EXPLORER.EXE and get a fully working login session (with limits of course, most notable being the only thing you could do is "switch user". You can't log off, shutdown, restart the system, etc, etc. - it's effectively an account with no privileges beyond exactly what's required to run MSGINA).

Interesting stuff, anyhow...