GUIDE: Tips on how to post and Small F.A.Q too.

Legolash2o

[DO NOT POST BUGS OR QUESTIONS IN THIS TOPIC, THIS IS ONLY A GUIDE, MAKE A NEW TOPIC INSTEAD]

This is all i can think of so far, so if anyone wants something or feels like something should be added/changed, etc.. then let me know.

Hey

There are many reasons for creating this guide... here are a few of them.

1. Answers can already be found using the search function at the bottom of the vlite forum page.

2. Sometimes people do not include the correct/enough information for people to help and most of the time people asked to upload the last sessions.

Please note that a problem/bug etc... is NOT always to do with vlite, and might actually be Vista itself. Also please read the >Forum Rules< before posting, thanks.

1. The Wonderful Story of the Search Feature

Once upon a time there was a box, this was no ordinary box, it was..... Anyways not sure if everyone is aware of it but just letting you know that there is a search box at the bottom of the vlite forum page, using this instead of posting a new topic may save you time rather than you making a new topic and someone else linking you to another when you could of saved hours n found it yourself. If you have used search and still couldn't find it then you can make a new topic. Thanks :D

2. Not enough or missing info

a. After vlited, basically after ISO creation/burning.

Something common is that not enough information is given to us, no i am not saying write loads and loads of pages... something simple like an "Last session.inf".

What is a "Last Session.inf" you ask?

This is also known as a preset. It contains the information of what you have done with vlite/nlite, so there is no need to post pictures of what you did. It can be located in 3 places

1. Your vlited vista dvd root folder

2. "X:\Program Files\vlite\presets" (or x64 its "X:\Program Files (x86)\vlite\presets)", if using nLite look for "nLite" instead of vLite.

3. "X:\Windows\Setup" Folder

where X is your OS.

Once you have located you preset attach it, please do not copy n paste everything inside it, just attach it using the attachment tools.

The Last session is not always needed but please attach it anyway (if you cant find it then no worries), the last seesion alone is not good enough so please write down some more information like describe what you did to get the error i.e. I started my game n it got "Blah blah blah" error message or i got "Cannot do this/that" during installation. Also tell us when it happened i.e. Completing installation stage of setup.

b. During the use of vlite

Sometimes the problem is with vlite itself so there would be no last session. For example it may crash after clicking apply, so print screens would be helpful, the error number/details, exactly what you did, where did it crash and so fourth.

3. F.A.Q - Frequanty Asked Questions (Do not ask questions in this post please)

Can vLite be used to integrate Addons?

Nope. vLite does not support addons yet althought it does support Hotfixes, Drivers and Langauge Packs. One is planned for the future though, so it'll be worth the wait. :D

Can vLite integrate Vista Service Pack 1?

Yes (v1.1.6 Beta or later). It will only work if you are using an untouched version of Vista RTM which has not been edited by vLite or any other app. Pre-integrated SP1 is preferred though.

Can i install Vista Service Pack 1 on a vLite'd install?

Nope, you will receive errors messages, when the SP1 installer detects something missing it aborts. Bets option is to get a preintegrated Vista Disk.

Update: Windows Vista SP1 will not appear on Windows Update when you have used vlite, this was blocked on purpose. Read here for more info...

Can i still receive updates from Windows Updates using vLite'd install?

Yes! Windows Updates will only show updats for the components left, if you have removed Windows Defender you wont get definition updates or if you ahev removed Windows Media Player or IE you wont get updates for them either, etc... Remeber Vista SP1 will not appear though.

-End- (so far)

Please include as much information as you can, again not asking for pages and pages of information.

Edited by Legolash2o

• 5 weeks later...