Silent Install Nero Burning Rom 8.3.6.0 (8.x.x.x)

MillenX

And GUYS if you would like to change the icon of the installer and the appearance of extraction dialog, go and check out those resource editor, like RESHACK and XNResourceEditor.

They are free.

Go check them out!!!

RESHACK, the standard resource editor

Open RESHACK.

Open the installer by simply dragging it into the RESHACK window.

To add image to the extraction dialog

Go to Action --> Add a new resource --> Open file with new resource

Browse the image file in BMP format. (.bmp)

Nero Extraction Image:

Nero.bmp

Resouce Type: BITMAP

Resource Name: 70

Resource Language: 1033

Add Resource

You should see a group named Bitmap is added.

Expand "Dialog" to the end. You should see a dialog box appear.

Replace the script with the code below.

It seems messy but just COPY ALL and PASTE in the script.

It will look neat then.

500 DIALOGEX 0, 0, 351, 226
STYLE DS_FIXEDSYS | DS_MODALFRAME | DS_SETFOREGROUND | DS_CENTER | WS_POPUP | WS_VISIBLE | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU
EXSTYLE WS_EX_APPWINDOW
CAPTION "Progress"
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
FONT 8, "MS Shell Dlg"
{
CONTROL "Cancel", 2, BUTTON, BS_PUSHBUTTON | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 294, 202, 50, 16
CONTROL "", 1000, "msctls_progress32", PBS_SMOOTH | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE, 6, 203, 281, 14 , 0x00000200
CONTROL 70, -1, STATIC, SS_BITMAP | SS_REALSIZEIMAGE | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE, 6, 7, 338, 193
}

Compile Script.

You also can change the font style and size in the line below.

FONT 8, "MS Shell Dlg"

eg. FONT10, "Monotype Corsiva"

Note that the font style you use in the script must also has installed in your system

Rename the TITLE of the window in the 4th line.

CAPTION "Progress"

In the dialog box shown, you can do a bundle of things like change the position of the Cancel button, rename it to STOP! (by right-clicking the button and edit), insert another type of control, enlarge the image, crop the extraction window (in the first line of the script) and so on.

Compile script after done.

To change the icon of the installer

Expand "Icon" group. Expand any folder, eg. 1.

Right click on the resource language, ie. 1033 and Replace Resource. Browse for the SetupX.exe or other file with the same icon like NeroBar.exe. (If you want to use Nero Icon)

In the "Select new icon", select the icon you desired. I guess you want the first one.

Replace.

Otherwise use Replace Icon in Action and look for the icon.

But there will be some difference.

Example, the icon of the installer will appear like this in List-view if you use "Replace Resource" instead of "Replace Icon"

post-167089-1202038535_thumb.png

If you use "Replace Icon" the icon will appear as the icon in Tile-view or Icon-view.

Enjoy exploring.

Edited by MillenX

I'm having a problem when i'm trying to run silent install of Nero in WPI Wizard.

I've created 7zip silent installer following the guide by MillenX, and in preinstalled Windows XP everything works OK, tested in VirtualPC and on a real machine.

But, in WPI Wizard the same installer breaks in some point, without obvious reason.

It looks like SetupX starts for a moment, and then ends without any messages or errors.

Any idea what could be the reason for that?

Try restart your PC or shut down for a moment and turn on.

This may due to a request of Nero which asks a restart in order to run its program normally.

TwoJ's problem is quite same as yours. He had successfully installed Nero but asked to get a valid serial number when running it.

In user-interface mode (manual installing, without silent installing), you will know what the problems actually are.

It is because in this process, you will be acknowledged by a Ask-for-Restart dialog window if restart is necessary, and you will be acknowledged by a Invalid Serial Number message if your serial number is pirated.

In this case, you will also see a dialog that ask for a restart when you run the original Nero Installer for manual installing it, which means, not just by silent installing will meet this situation.

All needed to know is that silent installing will not show any Nero dialog, except for those error message due to improper installing.

So, in this case, if your problem is exactly what I think of, silent installing is not the cause of your problem.

If not, this post is not avail of.

I was asked by MillenX to help him post this.

As I said before, I don't get any dialogs or error messages.

Is there any log file created during installation ?

Oh sorry for being careless that I left out this important information.

Well I did not notice any log file created by Nero in this context but I was not sure if it really created one.

If not, this post is not avail of.

So, it seems turned out to be. I don't really know much about WPI.

In that case, are you using it for Windows XP unattended installation?

If you do, why not try to use other methods like cmdlines.txt, svcpack.inf...

Edited by Prober

MillenX and Prober, thanks again for your help.

I've solved my problem - restart in WPI before Nero silent install did the job - now everything works well.

It seems that MillenX was right, it must be that Nero ask a restart, and without that, installation breaks.

BTW, I think that MillenX's method of unattended install is best of all out there, because there is no modification of original setup files in any way, and I hope it could be used with next versions of Nero.

Great work!

I encoutered the same problem JasonKiller had. Silent install stoping itself, without any message, but working after a reboot.

I may not understand all that was said very well, but does it means there's no way of (silently) installing without a reboot.

I call the installer from my [GuiRunOnce] batch file.

Would it mean that it is no possible, using this method, to add nero 8 to my unattended windose install?

Edited by xyu

I encoutered the same problem JasonKiller had. Silent install stoping itself, without any message, but working after a reboot.

I may not understand all that was said very well, but does it means there's no way of (silently) installing without a reboot.

Would it mean that it is no possible, using this method, to add nero 8 to my unattended windose install?

No, it's possible. Don't be disappointed.

Did you check if the progress of installing is normal, I mean, you install it during Windows Setup, but did you perform an installation in Windows to check whether the package work? ie. double-click the application to perform an installation.

If it can work properly but can't work in Windows Unattended Installation, then I've no idea indeed.

You may use the other way like using svcpack.inf and cmdlines.txt, but only a variation on the theme.

But I guess you want to run it at logon.

You say you encounter the same problem as that of JasonKiller's, well in that case, you can view the previous posts about this problem.

Good luck.

And thank you JasonKiller, thanks for your words. This is my first big topic.

Haha... My real name is Jason and I meet a killer...

Happy Chinese New Year

Edited by MillenX

Well I notice something.

Did you call the installer from [GuiRunOnce] batch file (.bat) instead of calling it directly from [GuiRunOnce]

If that I think and hope I can help you if you tell how is the calling process or sequence.

There are several questions to be made.

First, If you call a batch file from [GuiRunOnce], then by using the batch file you call the Nero Installer, make sure the directory of the installer is correct or you use the IF command correctly. If it still don't work, it may be the problem of the installer itself like what I mentioned in the previous post, including the solution I suggested.

If you call the batch file from [GuiRunOnce], and use the batch file to call another batch file to call the installer, then be careful of that.

In this case you have to use command like CD, PUSHD or POPD.

For either way, if the installer is located on the Windows disc, make sure you have a right way to call it. Do that so if the installer is copied to your computer during Windows Setup.

Don't hesitate to post so that we all here can help you.

Edited by MillenX