Qfecheck indicates hotfixes not applied

Phred

Hi,

Just downloaded all (most) the hotfixes listed by Tomcat76 and the_guy as current for XP SP2. I HFSLIP'ed them, plus KB888111, into an clean XP SP2 source. Installed XP and then ran qfecheck - several of the hotfixes were missing from the qfecheck list.

. Used the latest qfecheck (6.2.29.0) as well as two earlier versions - same results

. If I manually apply, re-apply, the hotfix to the running system then qfecheck will show the hotfix in it's list

. hfnetchk says no missing hotfixes

. Carefully examining the installed components (files) of the hotfixes in question (at least the first four) all seem to be dated as at slipstreaming (current dates) and all seem to be at versions at least as high as specified in their respective Microsoft KB entry (or higher). In addition there are Hotfix reg key entries for all the hotfixes, including the ones not listed by qfecheck.

Here's the list of hotfixes missing from qfecheck's list. Following each is what I found after install, that is, what the hfslip process actually ended up inserting into the target system.

873339 - hypertrm.dll V5.1.2600.2563 size 347,136

885836 - mswrd6.wpc V10.0.803.2 size 186,880

886185 - ipnat.sys V5.1.2600.2524 size 134,912

887472 - msmsgs.exe V4.7.0.3001, msgslang.dll V4.7.0.3000, msgsc.dll V4.7.0.3000

888302 - not yet investigated

891781 - "

923789 - "

941569 - "

Attached is a log.zip file containing the hfslip.log, qfecheck list, hfnetchk output and the Hotfix reg key entries for the first ten or so hotfixes including several missing from qfecheck's list.

Should I ignore qfecheck? Why would a hotfix show up on qfecheck's list after re-applying it to the running target system?

Thanks for your help.

Phred

Logs.zip

IIRC, qfecheck checks things in the registry. When manually running updates, entries are put in the registry for new and old file versions. So in other words, qfecheck is better suited for a normal installation, where normal is intended to mean using a factory install cd and manually installing updates.

Thanks tommyp. I read somewhere that qfecheck checked some registry entries but then went on to check other "things". Not sure what other things and I believed the registry entry checked was HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix. All the "missing" hotfixes have \CurrentVersion\Hotfix registry entries that look pretty much identical to entries for hotfixes that are in qfe's list.

Did you have a chance to look at my attached logs.zip files? Did everything look ok? As I commented when researching the missing qfecheck hotfixes, checking the actual files that got dropped into the target system it certainly appears the hotfixes are there.

My next test will be to connect up and see what MS Software Update says.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Phred

Did you have a chance to look at my attached logs.zip files? Did everything look ok?

I glanced at it, but didn't want to take the fun away from you to compare your list of hotfixes to tomcat's list of hotfixes. If your list agrees with TC's list, you'll be OK.

and...

Windows Update says everything is fine. Qfecheck lies...

WU did complaint about the Realtek Audio KB935448 problem. If I knew what to look for to help Tomcat76 resolve the issue I'd be willing to try a few test installs.

Phred