Forcing Logitechs Setpoint software to play nice

PC_LOAD_LETTER

Not hardware related exactly but hardware specific.

I own a Logitech MX1000 and a Logitech MX Revolution and i use middle click (not autoscroll) frequently

the MX1000 and Setpoint play nice and I can get almost any button assigned to what I need. However the MX1000s middle click wears out VERY easily in my experience (had my first replaced 1 month after i got it) and my 2nd one is 50/50 hit/miss on middle clicking so before i got my new MX Revolution, I came up with the idea of remapping left scroll to Middle Click (horizontal scrolling isnt a problem with 24" widescreen monitors) and got so used to it I found myself left scrolling on the new MX Revolution because Setpoint would not allow me to set Left Scroll to Middle Click.

The MX revolution also has a way to toggle from smooth scroll wheel mode and the classic soft click that every mouse has. I found this feature quite nice but unfortunately I can only bind it to middle click. However there is a useless 'search' button directly above the wheel that I would like that feature mapped to.

so to Summarize:

I cannot map the Left/Right scroll to Middle Button (3rd Button) -not to be confused with autoscroll/Universal Scroll

I cannot map the Search button to 'Shift Scroll Modes'

This aggravated me and I set out to fix it and believe it or not, I actually succeeded! Here is a rough walkthrough on how I did it:

C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\default.xml

C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Logitech\SetPoint\user.xml (C:\Documents and Settings\User\Apllication Data\Logitech\SetPoint\user.xml in XP I think)

the default.xml file contains the lists of allowed button binding sets for each binding type

the user.xml are your users settings (no changes need to be made to this file manually but if you have to lookup a button binding name you'll have to open it)

in this case I set my middle click button to 'Shift Scroll Modes' using the Setpoint software and opened user.xml

<Device DisplayName="MX Revolution" --parameters snipped to save space-->
<Buttons>

--snipped to save space--

<Button Number="3" Name="3">
<Param IconLoc="" Type=""/>
<Trigger Class="ButtonPress">
<Param Button="3" FirstRepeatDelay="0" RepeatDelay="0" Silent="0" Type="0"/>
<TriggerState Name="ButtonDownUp" HandlerSet="ManualShiftSet">
<Handler Class="HandlerManualShift">
<Param/>
</Handler>
</TriggerState>
</Trigger>
</Button>

Take notice of DisplayName="MX Revolution" be sure this matches the mouse you wanna edit (if you have had/do have other Logitech mice connected they will be listed in here too)

We see that the HandlerManualShift is in the HandlerSet ManualShiftSet. ManualShiftSet is the information we need. copy it and open default.xml

around 40 lines down the file you will see a bunch of lines that start with

<HandlerSetGroup Name="AdvnSearchOtherMiceGroup" HandlerSetNames="--parameters snipped to save space--
<HandlerSetGroup Name="AdvnSearchMaderiaOtherMiceGroup" HandlerSetNames="--parameters snipped to save space--

the Variable HandlerSetNames is a long comma separated list of HandlerSets from our other types. I added ManualShiftSet to both of the lines quoted above.

before saving the file, right click on the Setpoint tray icon and click exit. Then save your changes to default.xml and restart Setpoint.

Select your previously useless search button and choose "Other" and then Select 'Shift Scroll Modes' from the list and hit apply.

I also added MiddleMouseButton to all HandlerSetGroups that had the word Left or Right in their names (prolly only had to add it to one but didnt wanna miss one and have to try again)

I have attached my

default.xml and

user.xml for reference. In thoery you could create a huge Mastar default.xml that had all handler sets for all buttons but i dont know 1. if the software will handle it or 2. if anyone else wants to modify their mouse buttons as much as i do

Oh yeah, back up your files before editing, I am not responsible if PC blows up, burns down your house and your wife leaves you at the exact moment you hit save.