no sp3(xp)

leviakl

hi

i have sp3 on my xp machine, but now there is only sound from music and some games after a restart, but usual windows sounds are always there.

in control panel when you go to 'sounds audio devices' is says there is no playback devices.

sometimes it will work for hours after a reboot, sometimes not very long at all,

i have changed drivers, sound cards and anyting else i could think of.

with the last sound card sometimes in device manager i could 'rescan' and it would work again... but now with the on board sound (ac3) i think it works for longer, but wont work with a 'rescan'

i have updated sp3 to the latest build.

this was a fresh install of windows after a 30 day trial of vista( didn't like it)

any pointers would be appreciated

Maybe some natural human behavior?

Ever heard about early adopters or pioneers?

Without them there's no final product

Without them there's no Windows patch on the world

Without them you've a lot more work to do so you could programming your own OS by example

:whistle:

Maybe some natural human behavior?

Ever heard about early adopters or pioneers?

Without them there's no final product

Without them there's no Windows patch on the world

Without them you've a lot more work to do so you could programming your own OS by example

:whistle:

I fully agree with you, however it is quite obvious that the topic starter does not have the intention to perform any kind of pre-release testing.

Asking how to fix a problem in a beta isn't complaining, he just wants it to work. And besides, a problem in an RC will probably be in the final version anyway.

What you need to do is delete the following files in your windows\inf folder:

infcache.1

any *.pnf files (these are caches inf files)

any oem*.inf files (these are renamed 3rd party inf files)

Make sure you're using the latest drivers, sounds like a drivers issue. You might need to wait for updated sound drives from your manufactor. You could try posting in microsoft beta newsgroup.

-gosh

I have to agree--I've tested SP3 RC1, with no problems, but it is clearly stated that SP3 is not yet meant for production systems.

It is great to test products like this, and I like to get a preview of what's available, but I would never install a Beta or RC on a computer I relied upon for everyday use.