my only problem with vlite

dcyphure

been out of the loop for a bit. wanting to try latest version

my question is, with beta 2 and earlier, when i removed stuff i often times get failures with WU. which is fine cause i know i removed that stuff but what i hate is that WU reboots my pc 3 times in attempt to install then reports it as failed and will do the same thing again next time and i often forget which files i need to uncheck to prevent it.

so thats the biggest problem for me with vlite. is this still an issue with latest version?

is there any way i can prevent WU from even trying to install updates for components i dont have?

is there an auto installer somewhere with all the latest update packs for 64 bit vista that would install only what i need?

hmm, well here is a simpler question.

if i integrate all the x64 hotfixes into latest Vlite. will it auto disable all the hotfixes for components that i removed?

this didnt seem to be the case for ealier versions as i always had problems and had to redo it without hotfixes integrated.

cause honestly i dont know what hotfixes are associated to what componant...some i can by its identification but others cant, so i cant really ween them out manually.

vLite doesn't break WU no matter what you remove (except Winsxs but it's in the new ver), check if services like Windows Management, Background Intelligent Transfer are running. In another words first test WU before tampering anything after reinstall.

Btw one restart is expected after it's updated on first run.

It will integrate whatever you give it but it will remove that component so floating hotfixes will just have some leftovers in the Winsxs folder.

no nuhi, it doesnt break WU. i'm saying it will still install hotfixes for components that i removed. it will then attempt to install which of coruse it will fail.

the problem is during its attempt to install, it will retry 3 times (3 reboots) to install before giving up and telling me they have failed....thats rather annoying especially if i forget which ones they were and accidentally download them again later.

this is what has happend with your last two released i'm aware of....not sure about the new one yet so thats why i keep asking about this

yes all those services are running as i have said in the past. all the ultimate default services are on and were never removed.

i'll give an example. if i remove IE7. WU will still show all the hotfixes for IE7 and attempt to download if i choose auto. while i can manually deselect them, some dont mention what componant they are for or sometimes i forget to uncheck it....its really more of a serious annoyance more than anything

see what i mean?

thanks for responding btw.

*edit: can i ask, is there a list of safe folders to delete in Winsxs that wont hinder WU?

its a very large folder, mine is almost 7 gigs. would like to cut that but prefer to keep updates

Edited by dcyphure

If you keep HTML Engine it will show IE hotfixes because they all mainly update HTML engine, IE won't be returned.

So that part is fine.

Btw attach your preset and tell me at least one hotfix which makes it loop and I'll gladly try.

No safe list for winsxs, it all depends on the hotfix, it seeks what it updates.