it takes 2 seconds to connect to the net but 4 mins to start browsing

euqiddis

Hi all,

im in need of some help, when i open up IE i get teh connect to internet box (as usual) when i enter the user/pass it connect straight away to the net, however i cnt browse till about 4 minutes after for some reason the progress bar just slowly moves,when i enter a url nothing happens either. The pc seems to be stuck as i cant open any other programs, however after 4 minutes i can browse and open other apps as usual.

has anyone got any ideas why this could be happening?

I have done the following:

1. ran spybot search and destroy and lavasoft Ad-aware, (it only found cookies)i restarted the pc and had the same problem.

2. made all the programs that are allowed accessed via zone alarm program control to ask me first, IIS, IE and a few other asked for access to the net when i connected, but still had to wait the four minutes.

3. Tried firefox and still the same problem, had to wait four minutes to get any page loaded.

4.scanned pc for viruses with nod32 , still same problem.

cheers

1. Too many startup programs running at the same time.

2. Anti-virus scanning in realtime (scans everything you do and everything incoming)

3. Bad connection. Tweak your MTU.

4. Bad connection. Check you connection limit.

5. Bad connection. Check your wireless or any browser 'accelerator'.

ponch, there is no traffic at all, in teh network connections box, only a few kilbytes are recieved.

I check for antivirus updates every day.

It started about six months ago.

Im on a 1mb adsl connection (with a wired modem).

I check for antivirus updates every day.

I meant the update could have eaten all the bandwidth for few seconds (but hardly 4minutes) at every (???again) new connection, but it looks like it's not the case.

Try Ubuntu Live-CD. Get it running (no install needed) then try to connect to the internet.

If it still hangs, it could be your hardware or connection (external hardware or remote server is doing something).

If it doesn't... then its windows.