"Disable paging of kernal and core-os"

FastM

This is the nLite Description "Kernal and related files will not be paged (Disable Paging Executive). This speed up the machine if you have at least 512MB of RAM by reducing the hard drive activity and utilizing more RAM instead. This tweak is kind of a tradeoff: More RAM is used to speed up the system for games but applications may also hand when the available RAM drops too low."

Iv'e got a Dell XPS M1710 laptop with a 2Ghz C2D and 2gigs of RAM.

I checked off this option on my latest install. Im also using a new set of non-WHQL drivers.

I often play C&C 3 with a friend over a gigabit LAN, we play 8-player maps and take on 4-6 computers so the games last a long time and get pretty intense.

Since my last format, about 45min in my game has crashed back to desktop twice now (no error message, just shuts down to desktop).

I dont think its heat related, im thinking its either the new videocard drivers im using on this option.

What do you guys think?

Edited by FastM

As far as I know that option doesn't cause instability. I've been using it without issues.

What can be responsible for your issues is:

any kind of overclocking or voltage set other than auto: cpu, ram, gpu.

Beta gpu drivers, as you stated non-whql, that is worth checking out. Use latest stable drivers from the manufacturer's site.

Also do not disable PageFile if you have by any chance.

As far as I know that option doesn't cause instability. I've been using it without issues.

What can be responsible for your issues is:

any kind of overclocking or voltage set other than auto: cpu, ram, gpu.

Beta gpu drivers, as you stated non-whql, that is worth checking out. Use latest stable drivers from the manufacturer's site.

Also do not disable PageFile if you have by any chance.

No ocing or v-mods. pagefile settings un-touched. Im going to roll-back to the latest WHQL driver to see if it helps, the reason i went with the Beta was for COD4 Issues.

Since I have you attention, what about this option?

"Set TCP/IP Priority to 1"

Could this cause any problems to LAN gaming, or just the opposite (increase performance). I also set the TCP/IP Patch value to 50

In fact C&C might just as all crash because of C&C : it has problem when there are many units (game slows down to less than a tenth of its normal speed) and crashes if you use a super-weapon on a very populated area (which is you kill/damage too many units at once).

With C&C Generals and ZeroHour I agree, it was a 50/50 chance we wouldn't be able to finish the game. Since C&C 3 some friends and I have played many long games without crashes. This problem of mine only started recently and after this thread im thinking it must be Drivers.