IECore & Activation?

madbull

I,ve had a new idea,

Yes i'm still trying to find a way to remove IECore (using nlite) whilst still being able to activate the pc. <--- Xp Home Edition.

Sadly i still haven't been able to acomplish this tiresome task, even though i have tried numerous things.

Iv'e tried intergrating the wpa key onto the disk, but then i can't validate online as it says i need to activate first.

Tried to just remove IECore and leave oobe, but as i already knew - no success there.

Tried using other browsers

Tried associating the files to different programs, browsers etc

Tried a few other ways aswell.

I do believe this is possible, yet im just unable to find out how.

My idea is,

I know that once IECore is removed, after install there is no way (yet) to activate but what if there was a way to do it whilst installing or on first run maybe.

I saw a post i think it was on this forum; to intergrate activation files on to the disk.

Has anyone got any other ideas?

I really really apreciate any help/ideas,

Once you activate two files end up in Windows\System32, wpa.bak and wpa.dbl. It's mentioned (on the net) that backing up these two files and then copying them in to System32 on the new install should avoid having to activate. However, I've recently tried this with my unattended setup (by putting the files into $OEM$\$$\system32 on the UA disc) but it's still trying to activate. It is supposed to be possible though.

Here's some info on it.

As I suspected another article only mentions needing to backup wpa.dbl (not the .bak which is probably a backup, duh!).

UPDATE: After reading this myself it seems you have to copy the files once you've cancelled the question asking to activate so either the files get overwritten or it asks for activation regardless. I'll check tomorrow to see if it is actually activated. Don't want to have to reboot into safe mode!

Edited by Dobby

Once you activate two files end up in Windows\System32, wpa.bak and wpa.dbl. It's mentioned (on the net) that backing up these two files and then copying them in to System32 on the new install should avoid having to activate. However, I've recently tried this with my unattended setup (by putting the files into $OEM$\$\system32 on the UA disc) but it's still trying to activate. It is supposed to be possible though.

Here's some info on it.

As I suspected another article only mentions needing to backup wpa.dbl (not the .bak which is probably a backup, duh!).

UPDATE: After reading this myself it seems you have to copy the files once you've cancelled the question asking to activate so either the files get overwritten or it asks for activation regardless. I'll check tomorrow to see if it is actually activated. Don't want to have to reboot into safe mode!

Thanks for your reply,

I have tried this method several time useing several different "mehods" etc, but the activation process/wizard still needs to be ran in order for online validation to work; without validation the pc will still be locked after 30 days and if the user removed oobe then there would be no way to activate thus rendering the pc useless.