Windows XP and Sysprep

bouncer2007

Hello,

I have made a slimmed down version of Windows XP using Nlite. IT works fine on the one model computer I am testing it on which is an HP dc7600. However when I try to use the same image on a dc7700 model I am prompted for the System Bios Clock driver, the floppy disk control the primary and secondary IDE controllers. I have included the drivers for the chipset and so forth in a seperate drivers folder that sysprep.inf points to. I am not having any problem with any other devices not having the drivers installed. THe very odd thing is sysprep is actually removing the device enumeration as you will see below in the log...

When the system comes up back up after mini-setup is where I am having this problem windows PNP comes up ad all I have to do is click next. I have checked all of these devices they are all standard windows xp drivers located in the i386 folder and in the windows .inf folder. I have also checked the registry key that tells windows where to look for drivers. All of that seems to be correct and the problem is only with devices that Windows already has the drivers for as part of a windows install I have verified the inf files exist for these devices and there drivers.

My question is how can I fix this problem ? I have tried countless times to resolve this and it keeps doing the same thing. I even tried building the image on the dc7700 first and then going to the dc7600 but I get the same problem. Even after letting windows do the PNP for the dc7700 if I redo sysprep and upload the image then bring it back down it will not work on other model pc's again.

Currently we do have a universal sysprep image that we can use on several different model hp machines. I am not understanding why we cannot do this now.

Any help would be appreciated

...........................I forgot to mention the sysprep log file has this in it........

#-198 Command line processed: "C:\Sysprep\sysprep.exe"

#-148 Loading coinstaller modules for "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge".

#E360 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SysSetup.Dll" for driver "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 0x800b0100: No signature was present in the subject.

#-166 Device install function: DIF_REMOVE.

#I289 Removing device "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D0&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_01\3&B1BFB68&0&E0".

#I048 Device removed.

[2007/12/12 16:15:59 3128.73]

#-148 Loading coinstaller modules for "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge".

#E360 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SysSetup.Dll" for driver "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 0x800b0100: No signature was present in the subject.

#I289 Removing device "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D2&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_01\3&B1BFB68&0&E1".

#I048 Device removed.

[2007/12/12 16:15:59 3128.74]

#-148 Loading coinstaller modules for "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio".

#E360 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SysSetup.Dll" for driver "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 0x800b0100: No signature was present in the subject.

#I289 Removing device "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS_3011103C&REV_01\3&B1BFB68&0&D8".

#I048 Device removed.

[2007/12/12 16:15:59 3128.75]

#-147 Loading class installer module for "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller".

#E360 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SysSetup.Dll" for driver "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 0x800b0100: No signature was present in the subject.

#-148 Loading coinstaller modules for "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller".

#E360 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SysSetup.Dll" for driver "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 0x800b0100: No signature was present in the subject.

#I289 Removing device "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DF&SUBSYS_3011103C&REV_01\3&B1BFB68&0&F9".

#I048 Device removed.

[2007/12/12 16:15:59 3128.89]

#-147 Loading class installer module for "Primary IDE Channel".

#E360 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SysSetup.Dll" for driver "Primary IDE Channel" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 0x800b0100: No signature was present in the subject.

#-148 Loading coinstaller modules for "Primary IDE Channel".

#E360 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SysSetup.Dll" for driver "Primary IDE Channel" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 0x800b0100: No signature was present in the subject.

#I289 Removing device "PCIIDE\IDECHANNEL\4&1D1B703B&0&0".

#I048 Device removed.

Edited by bouncer2007

EULA status aside, have you checked HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase to see if you have a listing, pointing to the corresponding service under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services, for that device ID? I just got done wrestling with a similar issue with a SAS controller.

Maybe it would help to make a vanilla XP build and see if the issue duplicates? nLite is great for making a quick, customized XP install but may be doing something to cause this based on what you've added/removed. Some choices in nLite can lead to unintended consequences.

@Arie - Sysprepping after an unattended install is used for imaging, which saves you on the build time of a system. I maintain an image for home, as well as @work, so I can have a base system up in under 10 min w/o jumping through all the unattended install hoops every single time I build a system.

@Arie - Sysprepping after an unattended install is used for imaging, which saves you on the build time of a system. I maintain an image for home, as well as @work, so I can have a base system up in under 10 min w/o jumping through all the unattended install hoops every single time I build a system.

Why would you want to sysprep an unattended installation, as you could simply sysprep a normal installation? I don't see the use of using an unattended installation here. :unsure:

Just depends on how much time you want to stare at the screen. Personally, I prefer to automate routine tasks like that as much as possible.

I'm sorry, but your redenation doesn't make much sense in my humble opinion. First you would need to create an unattended installation, next you would need to sysprep it. The time it takes you to create an unattended installation is more than the time it takes you to install the operating system manually. To answer your "question": you like to stare at the screen more then ;) I prefer to automate as much as possible as well, but I'm also lazy, so I choose whichever option takes me the least amount of time, for now and for the future. Creating an unattended installation and afterwards sysprepping it takes more time to do now and restoring it in the future will take the same time as restoring a normal sysprep image.

He He He It actually does make sense, but it just depends on how many systems you're doing this to and what your situation is. For a single home system, or one that you're constantly changing/updating then no it isn't the way to go. However, if I'm doing this for work, or my own home use where I have 8-10 systems in use by the entire family, it does make sense to have a build ready to deploy in a matter of minutes. The extra time running sysprep and creating an image is a one-time cost that is recovered in time saved each time I deploy the image.

There is no shorter distance to the opposite corner of a square, just another way to get there. And that's fine, just as long as the solution meets your needs to resolve your problem. In some situations it's better to just go with an unattended install, for others sysprepping one and reusing it fits the bill.

@bouncer2007 - How's it going with your initial issue?

i don't know about Nlite i used it once didn't like the out come. i worked with hp dc5100 series don't install drivers for the system from unattended install it usally ends up in errors and is more time to figure out then just install drivers. here is what i have done. i use this guide for doing my stuff its http://www.uea.ac.uk/itcs/software/xp/xp-sysprep.html i create xp images via this um up to 7 gb is how big i have gone for an image and has worked perfectly all of the time as long as you follow the guide.