Looking for good Fighter game

tim_ver

I remeber the days of Virtual fighter and Mortal combat for the PC. I have looked and looked and can not find any games like this for the PC. Can someone help me out with some names of game releases like this for the PC and windows XP?

I still have MK but will not run on my pc now in XP I get and error and also graphics are really bad. :(

Looking for some help.

Thanks

It depends on what kind of thing you like. This list should give you some ideas on some titles to start with. Of course for the older games, you can always go on Gametap, Direct2Drive, etc to find them. Many will work fine on XP too (Mortal Kombat 4 did anyway when I had it).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fighting_games

edit: Did you ever unlock Reptile in MK? That was fun for the times I could do it. Don't remember how now, of course.

Also, how does MK run for you under DosBox?

Edited by Glenn9999

Ok thanks, I will check out the list. So this list has the new ones or have they stopped making them? I can not seem to find and close to the ones I listed anywhere in a current version. Ii like the straight fighting like MK and Virtual fighter games, but only see these now for the console systems and not the pc. Looking for a few current titles.

For MK when I go to play it says MK Trilogy works best in a 15 to 16 bit pixel depth. I do change to a 16 bit setting but seems card jumps back to the 32 bit setting.

When I play MKT this is what happens - It starts up as a small screen window in center of the screen, then goto select the game type and then goto select the players and as soon as I do I get this error on the screen Application Error: C:\MK_Tri\Mktrilw.exe - A privleged instruction was executed at address 004d5f0c. Cclick ok to terminate the application.

Ideas on this?

Thanks

Ok thanks, I will check out the list. So this list has the new ones or have they stopped making them? I can not seem to find and close to the ones I listed anywhere in a current version. Ii like the straight fighting like MK and Virtual fighter games, but only see these now for the console systems and not the pc.

Most things, indeed, only show up on the console. These days, the PC is a pretty dead platform for gaming, except for a few token games (last time I was in Best Buy, the aisle for PC games was maybe 3' wide, much smaller than back when I first got a PC) and whatever the flavor of the moment happens to be (Crysis right now).

Truthfully, most people are noticing that the platforms are offering as good or better hardware without as much cost or problem in getting equipment (no perpetual upgrade train to play the latest games). So most of the gaming companies have gone to chase money there. I don't blame 'em either, it's static hardware with lower support costs, more people on them (again the upgrade train and the headaches in getting things to run), and a wider opportunity to do novel things without problems (like the guitar in the Guitar Hero series, or the Wii motion-sensor things - again standardized equipment), and the ability to charge more for platform games than PC games.

Seriously, though, I'd like to find a few of the older PC games if I get a chance and can find them more than the newer ones, and beat some of the ones I have now that I haven't yet (Darius Gaiden, Madden 2003, and Giants: Citizen Kabuto).

When I play MKT this is what happens - It starts up as a small screen window in center of the screen, then goto select the game type and then goto select the players and as soon as I do I get this error on the screen Application Error: C:\MK_Tri\Mktrilw.exe - A privleged instruction was executed at address 004d5f0c. Cclick ok to terminate the application.

This is a standard memory error it seems for Windows NT based OSes and this program. This link looks promising.

http://www.mksecrets.net/downloads/eng/downloads-updates.htm

You can also try to run it in compatibility mode (for Windows 9X) if you haven't already.

Edited by Glenn9999

Ok I will check it out. So I guess upgrading a pc now is not a good Idea, better to get a console system like PS3?

Ii was just about to bump up my pc from p4 2.2ghz 2gb ram, 256k video to a core 2 quad 6700,2gb ram, 640mb video. Arghhh

I downloaded the file and went to apply the patch but when I double click the file like it says I get a message that pops up and says. What program created this file, and Ii can select from a list on my pc. I have no clue how do I get it to apply the patch?

Ideas?

Thanks