Blue Screen of Death

BombaTwist

• 1 month later...

looks like its time to bring this back ]:

i reformatted again recently because i was stupid and got a trojan. After that reformat, i started having this problem again, so i reformatted a 2nd time, i still have it. :/

i did a memtest a couple days ago and i passed 23 times with 0 fails/errors.

I also get the same exact screen as my first post.

I made post in other forums too

TechSpot

AnandTech

looks like its time to bring this back ]:

i reformatted again recently because i was stupid and got a trojan. After that reformat, i started having this problem again, so i reformatted a 2nd time, i still have it. :/

i did a memtest a couple days ago and i passed 23 times with 0 fails/errors.

I also get the same exact screen as my first post.

I made post in other forums too

TechSpot

AnandTech

You solved this by analyzing the memory dump (you downloaded Windows Debugging Tools and ran an '!analyze -v' on the dumpfile) which pointed you to ati2tag.sys. This is an ATI driver, so you tried the latest ATI driver set (didn't work), then switched to another ATI card (worked), so it seems like the ATI card itself is the problem.

It's a RAM problem!

I definitely agree.

Also, you can get that main stop error code (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA) if you installed incompatible RAM or have a bad RAM slot.

Gotten that error code before after installing another 128 MB PC133 SDRAM module to an IBM PC300 GL. (Pentium III Katmai 533 Mhz with 133 MHz FSB)

Surprised me, because the RAM module was fine with a couple of Via KT133 based motherboards.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

It's a RAM problem!

I definitely agree.

Also, you can get that main stop error code (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA) if you installed incompatible RAM or have a bad RAM slot.

Gotten that error code before after installing another 128 MB PC133 SDRAM module to an IBM PC300 GL. (Pentium III Katmai 533 Mhz with 133 MHz FSB)

Surprised me, because the RAM module was fine with a couple of Via KT133 based motherboards.

Here's what MS says about their error:

Cause

Bug check 0x50 usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).

Another common cause is the installation of a faulty system service.

Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume.

EDIT: Ooops - didn't recall that I'd already debugged this. This is an ATI card issue. Not a RAM issue. The dump was debugged, the user switched to another card, and the problem is resolved.

Best path forward when you see a blue screen of death: debug the dump.

Edited by bluescreens

EDIT: Ooops - didn't recall that I'd already debugged this. This is an ATI card issue. Not a RAM issue. The dump was debugged, the user switched to another card, and the problem is resolved.

That may be because of the power supply not being enough for that ATI card and not enough power for your RAM and video card at the same time.

That may be because of the power supply not being enough for that ATI card and not enough power for your RAM and video card at the same time.

thats what im suspecting too. i hope my video card isn't bad. sometime this weekend ill have my friend test the card on his computer