My hard drive won't stop

Dante103

YOu have updated all your windows files, microsoft issued a patch for this same thing for my Laptop. Maybe you aught to try that first.

Second it would help if you gave more information regarding your laptop make model, serial #, your system info, your OS version, whether its a purchased soft or a downloaded soft, etc... Have you tried uninstalling Office XP, and seeing if the problem goes away? You might also have a program running in the background, hit control alt delete and get rid of any programs that you think might be causing the disk activity.

Big Booger

Ty for the response. Did the ctl alt del thing for 2 days. Windows explorer always comes out on top. Have not tried the uninstall but will do that sometime today. Now this is occuring both on my desk top and note book computers. And only since I installed Office XP. Notebook is a toshiba Satellite 1625 and desk top is hp pavillion with pII. (notebook has athelon 475mhz processor). It does appear to be something in the back ground because when I click the mouse or touch a key the activity stops but after about 1 min of inactivity the drive starts up again and goes and goes and goes.

The interesting thing is that this is occuring on both systems and the only change to both was the install of Office XP and it started almost immediately. Another interesting thing is that if I do the ctl alt del and leave the screen up it stops the disk activity!!.

Thanks again for you advice on the uninstall.

Dante out.

VIRUS SCAN. MAke sure to uninstall OFFICE XP, also make sure the voice recognition crap in XP is not activated. To do this simply when you are installing XP, do not do the typical install, do a custom, and only install the things you need. Some of that crap is never used! Also, you can later install it providing you have the CD with you if the need should arise. Try installing just the basic components, with none of the add ons, then slowly but surely keep adding things until you come to the point where this happens again.

If possible could you list the programs running when you hit control Alt delete? That could help me narrow down the rogue problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q282106

CHECK THIS LINK, IT WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/78475.html

try that article seems this is a common occurence.

Big Booger

Come, my dear Conan, come. The games afoot.

I undoubtedly looked in areas of peculiarity with a quimsical expression on my face while sifting through the mounting evidence that mere mortals take for granted despite it being right before them I daresay. Without much reflection I came to the conclusion using the redox reaction.

Further,

There was something of Mr. Dante103's benevolence in the appearance marred only by the insincerity of the fixed smile and by the hard glitter of those restless penetrating eyes that led me to my conclusions.

Memoirs of Sherlock Booger

The cyber sloth

• 4 years later...

Guys maybe you can help me I'm having a similar issue

this is what i posted on this thread

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mp;#entry566181

Ok guys I'm very new and I've done a bit of search but I can't seem to find out what gives with my PC.

So I'm asking the titans of the MS world for their help.

Here is the gig

I have a dell 8400

Windows XP Service Pack 2

Pentium IV 3.4 processor

1 Gig of Ram

80 Gig hard drive

on board sound

And have just recently picked up a

ATI Radeon X1600 Pro / 512MB DDR2 / PCI Express

And am running Norton Utilities

Yah not the sexiest piece of equipment out there but it works.

so here is the gig as of last month things really started going strange on the PC.

It works great, starts up and does all the usual stuff except every 10 or so seconds the hard drive has a little hick up and does a little clickat clack. It runs for 10 seconds for no reason.

I could be in the middle of reading an article or a word document and the hard drive light comes on and I hear the hard drive spin.

If all your doing is surfing the net or typing up a report it won't affect any thing.

But when go to play a game every time the hard drive doest its little dance your game will have a momentary hick up/freeze.

At first I thought it was the video driver, Dells are known for their very cheap video cards.

Mine didn't even have a cooling fan nor a decent heat sink.

So I convinced my self and my wife that it was the video card killing its self thus causing the processor to work extra hard. So I went out and picked up the ATI card.

Installed it and sure enough it improved things, the PC runs smoother but for the love of god THE DAM HARD DRIVE STILL IS DOING SOME FUNKY READING!

What gives!

I was up till 1AM trying to figure it out!

Ran anti virus

Ran Ad-Aware SE

Cleaned up the hard drive,

Threw away a tone of old stuff that I didn't use any more

Defragmenter

Checked the hard drive

Screamed at the computer

Found a chicken and a virgin and did some voodoo

Made a donation to Green Peace

Pleaded with it

but like Hall 2000

every few seconds that dam light would come on and the dam hard drive would spin!

I'm ready to freaking F disk the HD and start from scratch but guess what!

Dell doesn't give you a window CD when you buy their PC's!

Aint that nice!

So if any of you great minds could help me I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

And guys.....

I'm a dumb a** when it comes to computers ok!

A smart guy could fix this so when you give me advice keep it simple ok!

Cars / Bikes i'm good at, PC's.....aaah not so good!

Any help would be oh so super cool!