Can't install Gear of war

albator

Hi I Want to intall gear of war, but i have an error message that my C: partition

is to small.

So i change the target to d:

Still an error message, So maybe this is related to installshield decompressing on the c:.

So i have change the windows temp folder location to d:temps

Sit this **** game refuse to install, same error message. Can someone with

experience with msi or installshield help me ?

Please, dont tell me to resize my C parition...

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Games...forWindows.aspx

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS

Processor 2.4+ GHz Intel; 2.0+ Ghz AMD

RAM 1 GB

Hard Drive 12 GB free hard drive space

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce 6600+, ATI X700+

Online Multi-player: Online Multiplayer – Games for Windows – LIVE Silver Membership (included)

Now while it doesn't say 12Gb on the c drive, thats prolly what its gonna need because of a s***ty installer

I see 2 options (beside the one you specified)

1. Move 12Gb of data to another drive and move it back after installing GoW (even an installed game -as long as you move it back)

2. get process explorer and/or Filemon, run it/them, run your installer, see what path its trying to dump files into, use Junction to created a junction point to another drive at that location

(ex: junction.exe c:\Documents and settings\user\local settings\installsheild\notenoughspacehere g:\bigolharddrivewithtonsofspace)

#2 may not work but itll give you something to try while moving 12gb off of c: to another drive :)

You could also try setting your TEMP & TMP environment variables to point to another drive so the installer will use another drive. I have a 30 gig drive set aside just for such occasions.

I did that, read my post.

It Still does not work

What are the sizes of your C and D drives/partitions?

Also, go to Start, Run and type cmd. Next type the following: echo %tmp% and echo %temp%, tell us what both of those return.

They both return d:temp wicht is the correct setting.

C: is 10 gig and D is 90 gig.

Edited by albator

From the information you've provided, there is no reason for your computer not to install the game... ...except one thing.

This is why you don't use nLite to break your Windows install. You may "save" 200MB of hard drive space (which is nothing on modern hard drives), you get all kinds of problems such as these. You even mentioned MSI/InstallShield. It's always safe to assume when nLite is involved that services have been ripped out, which may very well be the root of your issues.

Your best bet is getting your Windows XP cd (that has not been tainted by nLite) and reinstall Windows XP as it's meant to be.

From the information you've provided, there is no reason for your computer not to install the game... ...except one thing.

This is why you don't use nLite to break your Windows install. You may "save" 200MB of hard drive space (which is nothing on modern hard drives), you get all kinds of problems such as these. You even mentioned MSI/InstallShield. It's always safe to assume when nLite is involved that services have been ripped out, which may very well be the root of your issues.

Your best bet is getting your Windows XP cd (that has not been tainted by nLite) and reinstall Windows XP as it's meant to be.

I use nlited XP since 4 years, never have any problem with it.

I find it strange that you dont know the source of the problem and then you blame it on nlite !

I think, this must be related to a bug of installation. It wont accept to change the target to another

partition without prior clearance of the C: partition.

I gonna rezize the partition tomorow and try the install again just to prove your are wrong with nlite !

Yes, that's a great way to be open minded about where your problems lie. It can't possibly be nLite's fault. :rolleyes:

Checked over the entire official Gears of War forums and FAQ, no one has the same issue you do. You may want to post there and see if it's just a problem limited to your crippled nLited OS, or if this is in fact a common error.

I've had people bring their computers into the shop with similar problems. One was very similar to yours, where they were unable to install some games. When I asked if they modified anything; he told me that he had used nLite to make a Windows install of his own. So he got a format C:, his Windows properly reinstalled without nLite and his games installed just fine.

When he came back we told him that we had to format his hard drive (after backing up his data) because it would be most cost efficient for him and also fix his problems properly since nLite stripped out things he needed. We formatted and did a clean install rather than waste hours trying to fix all his problems that nLite caused by stripping things out. His Windows was reinstalled and everything was working fine. His games installed without a single problem. We told him about how it was nLite that crippled his install and broke many things besides just his problems installing his games. Before he took it home he tried it out in shop to make sure his games were working. He said that he used it to improve his gaming experience and free more resources when he gamed. We explained to him that everything has a purpose in Windows and when it's not being used for something, it's idle and takes up next to no RAM at all. After all, idle RAM is wasted RAM. Needless to say, he was thrilled that his games were working and was surprised that there was no performance loss on a regular/plain vanilla Windows install.

You were wrong, the bug was in this poor installer, after resizing the C: to 11 gig, it work. (with the same windows

installation)

I agree that Nlite can lead to problem, but it should be use with care, you can remove files that are needed for some task. But I know exactly what do.They were some bug, in the past, but they were fixed. When was the last time you try nlite ?

Quote:Needless to say, he was thrilled that his games were working and was surprised that there was no performance loss on a regluar/plain vanilla Windows install.

This is by far the most strange part of your post.

! How can you say that, havin system restore and other sevices dont' alter perfomance ?

My machine boot in 8 sec from bios to fully working xp. Did you ever see that in a normal XP ?

And if you did not get it, I take offense about your 'tainted' comment on nlite. It's obvious to me

that you dont know nlite well.

Edited by albator

How can I say that things like System Restore and other services do not effect your performance in a negative way? I've done my research over the years and I work in the PC tech field. Experience both out in the real world and from extensive research.

Service "tweaks" debunked: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...=y&arctab=y

System Restore has many positive benefits, including the fact that it makes a backup of your registry and other positive backups. Learn more by reading this wiki article: http://wiki.djlizard.net/System_Volume_Information

At any rate, it's good to hear your issue has been resolved. You should notify the developers of the issue so they can correct it if they see fit.