Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Have you removed WHQL lines out of the unofficial INFs? or is it WHQL + modded?
The latter is correct.

When I created the modified Intel textmode drivers (32/64bit), I didn't remove anything from the WHQL certified ones. I just added the missing DeviceID's and the associated Controller entries.

So my modified drivers can be used with all available Intel ICH7-10 Southbridge chips (with and without "R" or "M").

I didn't remove anything from the WHQL certified ones. I just added the missing DeviceID's and the associated Controller entries.

The edited file iaAHCI.inf is not WHQL certified anymore, iaAHCI.cat dosn't match.

Can you keep the original iaAHCI.inf add a addional file iaAHCI_F.inf?

If its no longer WHQL, end users get some sort of nagging prompt? something like "this is not WHQL certified" or does Win by default reject such NON-WHQLs?

Can you keep the original iaAHCI.inf add a addional file iaAHCI_F.inf?
This is a good idea, but what would be the benefit of doing this?
does Win by default reject such NON-WHQLs?
No, you can integrate any non-WHQL textmode driver into a Windows XP CD by using a tool like nLite, The function of the driver is not affected at all by the WHQL stamp.

I built a disc but setup did not detect my desktop's hard disk and crashed on my laptop :( My desktop used 5.x and laptop uses 7.x version of INF files when I removed both and inserted the new version, my desktop system did not detect my hard disk (it means some hardware info does not exist in this new version of 7.x and exists in old 5.x version). In my laptop, setup crashed may have crashed because I had put 5.x + 7.x (some lines maybe common in one of the INF file resulting in using up of 2 drivers)

Anyways, is it possible for you to see the difference of 5.x and 7.x and make one of INF set? :)

@ lama:

Only the textmode drivers of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager are necessary for the detection of the hard disk drives. The Intel "INF Drivers" (= Intel chipset drivers) are not needed during the hdd detection part of the installation.

Questions:

1. Which sort of Southbridge does your laptop have?

2. Which sort (Intel textmode or Intel chipset driver) and which version do you mean with 5.x and 7.x drivers and how did you install them?

First, thanks to Fernando for creating this thread.

I created a XP SP3 disc using nLite, the drivers as posted by Fernando in text mode (selected all of them) and the Intel inf drivers as PNP. I tried an install on a Asus Maximus Formula board (ICH9R) with an E8400 cpu, ATI 2600 video card, 4G Gskill DDR2, 2 SATA optical drives and used a PATA optical on the JM controller for the install. The SATA HD was set to RAID mode (a requirement for this setup) in the bios, but the disc is a non-raid member. Please note that all hardware is known to be in good working order as I have an active working setup installed using the F6 method on another hard drive that was detached for this install.

The install goes through the entire setup routine without a hitch and even gets past the first XP flag/black background to the first blue background screen just before the logon prompt and then repeatedly crashes to a BSOD with a bad_pool_caller error (probably caused by win32k.sys win32k HeavyFreePool +bb). Please note that I tried this several times, burned the CD-R at 4x, verified it and even tried a new disc, but would get the exact same result. I am also not trying to incorporate any other SP/HF's either.

Any ideas on what is causing the error and how to resolve the problem? Please note that I followed this up with a clean install using the F6/floppy method with absolutely no errors.

Thanks for any assitance.

@ xdmv and GreenDrazi:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Can I integrate all packs from Intel in my Install CD or should I pick the correct one for each installation?
You can enable several SATA Controllers while integrating the Intel textmode driver, but you should not integrate more than 1 driver of each sort and vendor. That means: 1 Intel textmode driver (the WHQL or modified one) and 1 Intel chipset "driver" package ("INF Update Utility") is enough. Otherwise you may get problems.
I created a XP SP3 disc using nLite, the drivers as posted by Fernando in text mode (selected all of them) and the Intel inf drivers as PNP. I tried an install on a Asus Maximus Formula board (ICH9R) with an E8400 cpu, ATI 2600 video card, 4G Gskill DDR2, 2 SATA optical drives and used a PATA optical on the JM controller for the install. The SATA HD was set to RAID mode (a requirement for this setup) in the bios, but the disc is a non-raid member. Please note that all hardware is known to be in good working order as I have an active working setup installed using the F6 method on another hard drive that was detached for this install.

The install goes through the entire setup routine without a hitch and even gets past the first XP flag/black background to the first blue background screen just before the logon prompt and then repeatedly crashes to a BSOD with a bad_pool_caller error (probably caused by win32k.sys win32k HeavyFreePool +bb). Please note that I tried this several times, burned the CD-R at 4x, verified it and even tried a new disc, but would get the exact same result. I am also not trying to incorporate any other SP/HF's either.

Any ideas on what is causing the error and how to resolve the problem? Please note that I followed this up with a clean install using the F6/floppy method with absolutely no errors.

Here are my ideas:

1. Remove 2 GB RAM while trying to install Windows XP.

2. Integrate just the actual WHQL signed Intel textmode driver and enable the Intel® ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller, when you get the textmode driver integration popup window.

3. Read this.

Good luck!

Fernando

Thank you Fer for your quick answer.

As I thought, it is not possible to build a install CD with full sata driver support.

But, is there any way to build a standar (most common chipsets) CD?

It is correct to separate Laptops from Desktops chipsets?

I mean, I install a lot of wXP OS and everytime I get troubles I have to (re)build a new installer.

Thanks a lot for your time!

Thank you Fer for your quick answer.

As I thought, it is not possible to build a install CD with full sata driver support.

I mean, I install a lot of wXP OS and everytime I get troubles I have to (re)build a new installer.

Thanks a lot for your time!

#################

SORRY for my Double Pack... :whistle:

Edited by xdmv

Yes, that is possible even by using nLite, but you should only integrate 1 driver of each Southbridge chipset vendor.
That is not necessary regarding the textmode drivers.
If it is your business to install Operating Systems onto different desktop computers or laptops, you should avoid nLite, because this tool may only be used for private purposes.
What do you think about Mass Storage drivers @ http://driverpacks.net/?
This is is exactly the method you should prefer, if you are going to install Windows XP very often on different computers. The integration should be done by using DriverPacks BASE and not by using nLite.

Thank you so much for your fast and professional support.

BTW...

What do you mean "used for private purposes"?

Microsoft, nLite, Client-Technical support, etc., related legal problems?

I would like to know more about this topic.

Thanks!