Can't reload XP???

BradBo

Hi,

I'll try to make this short.

I built a new computer. Asus MOBO, 1.8 cpu,new 80gig WD hd.

I screwed up when I initialy installed my XP oem Home Edition and somehow hide 8 gigs of my harddrive in a partition I can't get to.

Also I have never been able to get my Moviemaker to work.

So I want to reformat and reinstall my XP.

Here is what happens when I try to do this.

If I reboot off my XP cd and go into setup,the XP setup stops and says it can't find the file:i386l_intl.nls, or something very close to that.

So I get out of that,go to the XP desktop and put in the cd and try to install from the desktop just to see if I can get XP reinstalled incase I have a corupted file thats screwing up my Moviemaker. That would not help my partition problem.

It then stops and says it can't install various other files that are .dll files and types that I don't exactly remember now but it says a person with advanced skills should only work in this area.

So here is my problem. How the heck do I reformat my hard drive and get XP on again.

Thanks Brad

What i would do would be do pop in a 98 start up disk and use fdisk and format in dos. The only way your going to be able to get that 8 gigs is to free up the entire drive with Fdisk. To do this, get to the comand prompt and type "Fdisk" then look what the hard drive has...it will have a primary dos partition and most likely either a chunk of undefinded space, or it could be a extended partition. Depending on the case, try to delete the Primary dos, if it says it cant, due to somthing...like the existence of a logical drive or extended, delete those first and then the primary dos. Then make sure you have the entire drive as unallocated. Then create a primary dos partition, when it asks you if you want it to be the entire size of your drive say yes. Then boot from the Cd and install XP. And make sure to format the drive in NTFS, it will give you that option in the install.

:beer

-drew

Drewdatrip is right also after fdisking and reformating I would use the Microsoft Boot Floppys for XP.

It seemed to make my install alot easier. Before ya do anything go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release...releaseid=33290

for the Home Edition or

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release...releaseid=33291

for the Pro for those who need them.

You'll need 6 blank formatted floppys.

then when your done getting your disk clean with the fdisk and format using the 98 or ME EBD...reboot with floppy number one and it will take you through it.

It worked out good for me ...Good Luck!

Drewatrip,

Thanks, I did everthing you said and it worked up to the point were the XP setup could not find the file.

I really lost it then. I thought there is nothing on the harddisk now ,what could possibly stop the setup.

I was really p***ed and out of the blue I thought maybe the disk is shot.Well I have 2 kids and they play on my desk sometimes.

I turned the disk over and it had some kind of stick candy stuff on it.

I cleaned it and the install went great.I really learned allot.

I have one more question.

I had no trouble installing and registering again. Other than my high morals,snicker, whats stopping anyone from putting it on another computer?

Brad

If your copy of Windows XP is a retail version and it is already activated on your PC, it made a list of all your hardware and serial # of Windows. If you try and install it on another PC and try to activate it, you will be denied activation.