hotfixes integration order: what is your final opinion?

Sisupoika

Hi all,

just registered at these forums so hope to be welcome :thumbup

Even after reading a great many threads I must confess I haven't found yet a clear explanation whether the order of the hotfixes we integrate with nLite does matter or not.

Does it make any actual difference if I simply add the hotfixes during nLite's wizard regardless of their order?

I would believe nLite takes care by itself of the right order while processing the updates, but as some of you say this might not be the case.

Also, what is supposed to be the first step between adding hotfixes/addons, and removing components, in order to avoid problems?

Last but not least, what do you think is the best way to obtain all the hotfixes and updates (not only the critical ones)?

I am going to reinstall my system so I would like to first prepare a new updated source for my new installation.

Many thanks in advance.

Sisupoika

hi

If u want avoid any probs do it like that (my way..):

1st intagrate sp2, ie7, mp11

2nd intagrate addons, make tweaks, etc and make bootable cd/dvd (1,1GB my installation)

3rd make new virtaul machine in vmware, run it and test if all is like u want

4th hf in install

ps : everytime when i want intagrate updated addon version im starting from begining to avoid any probs.

good thing if u want intagrate some applications to windows isntallation make your own addons..

when u intagrate hotfix by nlite its best way how to do it, u dont need dload those updates, install them after installation or whatver else.. simple u have them already in.

Also, what is supposed to be the first step between adding hotfixes/addons, and removing components, in order to avoid problems?

Have you used the program at all ? Did you have any problem ? Why not simply follow the order of the program ?

Have you used the program at all ? Did you have any problem ? Why not simply follow the order of the program ?

Yes, I have tried a few times but always had some problems of one type or another. That's - I think - because I used to do the integration and the removal during the same wizard, while creating the ISO. :)

I use this order:

A clean XP source (with integrated SP2 install)

Xable's XUpdatePack_v3.0.3.7z (it's up to date till Sept 2007)*

All post Sept 2007 hotfixes from Microsoft

Xable_QFECHECK_v1.1_addon.cab

Xable_WGAV_v1.0_addon.cab

Xable_WindowsUpdateEngine_v1.1_addon.cab

DirectX_9.0c_November_2007_AddOn_0.3.2.7z

WMP11 Slipstreamer v0.95i + all WMP11 updates

nLite's DriverPack integration

DriverPack's own installer for TXTSETUP.SIF driver integration

My own skeleton with reg files, scripts, apps and other stuff

Works like a champ. :)

*Alternative for XUpdatePack_v3.0.3.7z is RVMUpdatePack2.1.11.7z + RUPUpdates-2.1.11.13-Addon.7z + all remaining hotfixes from Microsoft.