Restart & Power Down Desktop Icon's

eddie11013

One of the things I like to do is put a restart icon & power down icon on my desktop, using the following procedure:

Create a shortcut (Right-click on desktop, select New > Shortcut) -- For location, type : shutdown -r -t 0

Click Next, enter a name for the shortcut -- Restart -- click Finish.

Create a shortcut (Right-click on desktop, select New > Shortcut) -- For location, type: shutdown -s -t 0

Click Next, enter a name for the shortcut -- Power Down -- click Finish

Apply necessary “Icon’s”

Is there, by any chance, a registy tweak that can do the same.

thanks in advance,

Eddie

The problem you are facing is that a shortcut has to specify a file; so below is a solution.

You can create a batch file with the restart/ shutdown commands in them. Then create a shortcut file (by the procedure that you've mentioned) but the location of that shortcut will be the batch file.

Now on the shortcut you can change the icon to watever you choose (this can't be done on a batch file). You do this by right clicking on the shortcut --> properties --> shortcut (tab) --> change icon (button) --> select icon.

If you dont know how to create a batch file: you create a text file (rename it shutdown or restart), type in the code for restart/ shutdown (e.g. shutdown -r -t 0); then save; afterwards you have to change the extension of the file from .txt to .cmd or .bat.

Edited by beepop100

An easy solution in my humble opinion would be to download Shortcut.exe, which is posted somewhere on this web site and/or forum. Create a silent installer with 7ZIP which executes Shortcut.exe with additional parameters to create your icons. If you use environment variables, you can use it on any system once you've created your self-extracting package.

Thanks for the suggestions. While I was looking for shortcut.exe with Google, I came across a free download program called xp shortcuts.exe, from: http://downloads.zdnet.com/download.aspx?&...mp;promo=100511 Of course I had to sign up for a free membership, which I will probably unsubscribe to pretty soon. Anyway, you execute this program and it automatically puts the desktop icons I want. I can change, if I want, the icons to suit my needs by going to windows/system32/shell32.dll. I tried the batch file thing, but as you preconceived, I really didn't know how to do it.

Anyway, problem resolved.

Thanks again,

Eddie