SmoothText 1.1.8

WildBill

Sure, it's on my other box. I'll post it tomorrow.

As an update. I FINALLY found that Explorer bug that was driving me insane. There's a GDI leak in the toolbar painting code that was causing Explorer (and eventually any other apps with toolbars) to run out of available GDI handles. I was seeing that when Explorer started experiencing problems, they remained even if I stopped SmoothText and restarted it. I eventually saw that calls to CreateDIBSection were returning ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_MEMORY when I restarted SmoothText. I bought a program that shows me the GDI handle usage of any running process and that did the trick. Juat for good measure, I put in a check so that the image-loading routine wouldn't try to copy data to a failed DIB section since the pointer would be null. I also was surprised to find that the Targa image-loading code wasn't thread-safe, so I fixed that as well.

The next step is to see if the Firefox 3.5 bug is still around. I'll have to test that on my main box. I've made a ton of fixes since I last tested it on Firefox 3.5, so I'm hoping that it's gone.

One bugfix at a time, I'm getting there. Firefox 3.5 was doing some screwy things with window origins and coordinate transformations. I don't yet understand it, but not trying to clip at the window origin fixed the problem with text disappearing.

Now I want to do some more testing and maybe add support for skinning trackbars.

Edited by WildBill

Also seems to correspond with the behavior; scrolling makes things go wonky. Maybe it's because Firefox now renders things DWM style? As in it draws things somewhere else where window size is irrelevant?

This may also be related to another funny thing I found while testing in VM; when SmoothText is started at a 640x480 resolution for example, it smoothes text on the desktop (icon labels). However, increasing the resolution to 800x600 will cause any icon labels outside the initial 640x480 rectangle to not draw. Restarting SmoothText on 800x600 resolution fixes the problem. No other text I found is affected. Perhaps this is the same thing?

No, but now that you mention it, I know where that's happening. I'm caching the screen dimensions. Okay, I'll change the code to always retrieve it.

Edit: consider that bug squashed :)

Edited by WildBill

I've now fixed the rebar positioning on the taskbar when skinning is on and the start button changes size. I also fixed another GDI resource leak in painting taskbar buttons. The remaining issues are:

1. Firefox 3.5 occasionally crashes.

2. Explorer hangs when I shut SmoothText down.

3. I occasionally get some FastMM errors.

I'm not sure what to do for these now until I do some more investigating, but I figure it's no worse than 0.9.9. I might release 1.0.0 as it is and work on skinning track bars afterward, because it's a lot of code to port from TClock3 and could take a while.

Edited by WildBill

They are, but track bars aren't (the sliders you drag). I have code in TClock3 to skin them, but it's sort of involved.

Does anyone know why the forums keep forgetting my login cookie? Constantly having to log back in is getting really annoying.

Woohoo! :) Fully working in VM now, dual and single core modes! Gonna test it on a real system tonight. I notice you've included a new skin ini with a 1.0.0 version tag, I assume it has some cool new feature? ;)

A worthy 1.0.0 build indeed!

Edited by Colonel O'Neill

It's just a skin I was using on my laptop that I've always sort of liked. It supports skinning up-down controls and changing system colors.

Multi-core should definitely work, I'm using it on a quad-core box running 2000 Server. I'm glad you like it.

Edited by WildBill