Another windows installer problem... it's a real pain...

Hi.

This is a pretty screwed sitch. :wacko: Did a search. Haven't found a solution yet.

PC unexpectedly shut down while regedit was still open. It seems nothing has been damaged except windows installer.

I had the registry open and was at some windows installer entry because I wanted to know if it was correctly registered. That's when a power fuse blew. It appears the harddisk is not damaged and hardware check gave no negative results.

running cmd: I type in msiexec /?

I get the message: Incorrect command line parameters, Windows Installer V 2.00.2600.1267 Copyright blah blah... so I know that the windows installer is installed.

This is what happens when I try to reinstall instmsiw.exe: Error the specified service already exists.

Services.msc however does not list a windows installer service.

When I try to slipstream-update OneNote 2003 I get the message:

The windows installer could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running in safe mode, or if the windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

The support personnel from micky soft don't seem to have a solution other than for me to do a new install and I haven't slipstreamed everything that I wanted for a clean install, so that would be a p*** in the a** to do.

This is beyond me. Is there anyone here that has any solution?

Thx for any insights.

Is there anywhere where I can find a list of the registry entries which msiexec.exe makes when being installed, so that I can knock them all out and really be able to do a clean reinstall of the windows installer?

What about sfc /scannow?

The service is in HKLM\System\Currentcontrolset\services\msiserver

The settings are in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer

On the HD the folder is windows\installer

-gosh

The error message about an invalid parameter often is a warning sign of the software requiring Windows Installer 3x and Windows Installer 3x isn't installed.

It often means that Windows Installer 2 isn't enough.

I saw that error message before, because I forgot to install Windows Installer 3x before running a hotfix installation.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

• 4 months later...
Hi.

This is a pretty screwed sitch. :wacko: Did a search. Haven't found a solution yet.

PC unexpectedly shut down while regedit was still open. It seems nothing has been damaged except windows installer.

I had the registry open and was at some windows installer entry because I wanted to know if it was correctly registered. That's when a power fuse blew. It appears the harddisk is not damaged and hardware check gave no negative results.

running cmd: I type in msiexec /?

I get the message: Incorrect command line parameters, Windows Installer V 2.00.2600.1267 Copyright blah blah... so I know that the windows installer is installed.

This is what happens when I try to reinstall instmsiw.exe: Error the specified service already exists.

Services.msc however does not list a windows installer service.

When I try to slipstream-update OneNote 2003 I get the message:

The windows installer could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running in safe mode, or if the windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

The support personnel from micky soft don't seem to have a solution other than for me to do a new install and I haven't slipstreamed everything that I wanted for a clean install, so that would be a p*** in the a** to do.

This is beyond me. Is there anyone here that has any solution?

Thx for any insights.

Is there anywhere where I can find a list of the registry entries which msiexec.exe makes when being installed, so that I can knock them all out and really be able to do a clean reinstall of the windows installer?

I ended up reinstalling my whole system because I found no solution. Since then everything has been working fine.