Integrating win51ip with nlite

bitbugsbyte

Hello, I have search the forum and FAQs many times and I'm still stuck. The official FAQs say "Be sure to copy all CD/DVD root files, not just i386 folder."

How is that done in nlite? When it asks me where the XP installation folder is, I point it to CD. It only copies the folders there.

Then I found a post that said to put those files into the "installation folder" which I did. There are there but they don't get saved to the ISO or burnt to disc using the direct burn option.

Otherwise I'm so thrilled to discover nlite! Finally I can make XP the way I want it! Hurray!!!

search terms: win51 win51ip win51.sp2 "Please insert the Windows CD" nlite XP automated install

I found a post that said to put those files into the "installation folder" which I did. There are there but they don't get saved to the ISO or burnt to disc using the direct burn option.

You didn't happen to put the files in the "nLite install folder" but in the folder that contains the i386 folder on your HDD, did you (excuse me if it seems stupid but you must do something unexpected). I never used the direct burn option so I can't say but try copying the files yourself at first and not let nLite copy them from cd. Check that hidden and system files are visible and copied. Check that the files are there before creating the ISO.

Thanks so much for your fast reply! I think you are saying that those files need to be placed in the folder where nlite asks you to save the CD files. That is where they are. I didn't put them in the nlite installation folder though.

I've been working on this for 6 days. I've burned about 30 disks (RW so it's ok). Any help is really appreciated.

Edited by nuhi

bitbugsbyte, hm I find it unbelievable that it would skip the root files and just copy the folders.

Try this then:

copy all the files and folders from within Explorer into some new folder on the hard drive then browse with nLite to that folder, not the CD.

OK I tried it. I copied the CD to HD. Same effect. win51ip is still missing.

Also this happened in both the current version (1.4 RC2) and version 1.3.5.

Then if I add the files later in a multisession, setup continues but then freezes (probably can't see i386 folder).

When I make the ISO and then burn it with another program, it isn't bootable. So if I boot from another disc and launch winnt, setup can't find i386 and then freezes after I tell it where it is. It says loading dosnet.inf ...

HD is SATA mobile with Intel 82801HEB chipset. I have the drivers from Intel but am doubting their validity. Also when I had the wrong drivers before, it just said no hard drive found, setup didn't always freeze.

Finally, Vista is installed on the primary partition. I was afraid to delete it until XP gets on.

So that is as far as I got. Any suggestions will be tried and appreciated! I'd like to volunteer to help fix this bug.

Thanks so much!

Edited by bitbugsbyte

So I just wanted to clarify that there isn't anything wrong with nlite's ability to burn bootable discs. However, for me, it is missing the 3 files that setup checks for (win51ip). Also they are not on the iso that I create with nlite. When I made the other post about the disc not being bootable, that was the fault of another software burner (unless the iso is not bootable but why would that be when it works with the direct burn option?)

Well in the name of accuracy, I am about to install a clean version of XP on a desktop with a standard ide HD and CDROM. Then I will install just nlite and absolutely nothing else. Will report if I am able to reproduce error.

Maybe I'm not reading careful enough but are you saying that the files are in the folder but they are not in the ISO?

If so then yes I heard about that one before. Then just set Mode to Create Image, switch ISO Engine to mkisofs, create ISO.

Then switch Mode to Burn Image and select that ISO made with mksisofs engine.

@Nuhi

You read carefully enough, but there is no valuable info, even between the lines, except:

It´s a mobile HD and XP is to be installed on a partition, running vista.

So...

@bitbugsbyte

You could have saved yourself a lot of "try and error" if you´d posted your sysspecs and answer the following questions:

1. What OS are you running nlite on XP or Vista ?

2. Is it the same computer (PC or Laptop), your running nlite on, where XP should be installed later on ?

3. Did you select "show hidden files", "show systemfiles", "show all folders" in "folder options" ?

4. What kind of XPCD are you using (normal, OEM, with or without SP) ?

5. Where did you create the XPCD folder and saved the contents of the XPCD to, when you pointed to the CD in nlite ?

6. Why didn´t you upload your last_session_ini (NOT the LS_u.ini, because this contains your KEY!!!) as 7z or posted it, in a codebox (with languages and keyboards removed) right away ?

Agi Hammerklau

1. What OS are you running nlite on XP or Vista ?

XP SP3 (but also reproduced with service pack 2)

2. Is the same computer (PC or Laptop), your running nlite on, where XP should be installed later on ?

no, it 's a different laptop fresh install of XP SP3 from nlite

3. Did you select "show hidden files", "show systemfiles", "show all folders" in "folder options" ?

4. What kind of XPCD are you using (normal, OEM, with or without SP) ?

(corporate?) Dell OEM XP professional SP2

5. Where did you create the XPCD folder and saved the contents of the XPCD to, when you pointed to the CD in nlite ?

In a new folder - have now about 50 different folders.

6. Why didn´t you upload your last_session_ini (NOT the LS_u.ini, because this contains your KEY!!!) as 7z or posted it, in a codebox (with languages and keyboards removed) right away ?

I entered my own key manually. I've tried loading last session and doing it manually many times. I removed the languages I didn't need. not keyboard should I? What is LS-u.ini?

Thanks

Please pardon my ignorance but are saying that people should delete the file named "Last Session.ini" from the folder that we save the installation to?

Also I entered my own key (and changed the one provided by nlite.)

OMG success!!!!

I did it!!! I believe that the CD was unreadable for those files. I just happened to have a second copy of the same disc and it worked.

Can we include a code that checks for the integrity of those files and just creates them if they are missing?

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

nlite rocks!!!!!! What would we do without this community? Be victims to MS.