Creating Multi-boot WinPE problem

eethball

With my current employer we're using the Windows OEM Preinstallation kit to deploy 3 different configsets. Currently I have 3 separete WinPE disks all with own WINBOM.INI in the root of the disk. Basically the disk is bootable and when the command prompt opens up it runs factory with the -winpe switch and that causes it to look at your WINBOM.INI file to find out what to do from there. I've read tons of posts and forums on how to create multiboot cds and dvds, but none of them can address this problem.

Most multi-boot tutorials tell you to rename the i386, and then modify to something like i486 and then modify t he SETUPLDR.BIN or whatever to point to that folder instead, but that doesn't work in this case, in the root of the CD we have the I386 folder AND the WINBOM.INI file which contains my settings. So does anyone know how I could make it work with something like the following structure? I've tried adding subdirectories to the SETUPLDR.BIN file because I couldn't figure out any other way trying, but maybe someone else in here has already experienced something like this.

CDROOT\OPK1\I386 and WINBOM FILE

CDROOT\OPK2\I386 and WINBOM FILE

CDROOT\OPK3\I386 and WINBOM FILE

Thanks for all your time guys.

EDIT: Could a moderator please move this thread to the "Multi-Boot CD/DVDs " thread.. Sorry...

Edited by eethball

It may pay to ask this question in the WinPE forum but as far as I know winbom.ini can only be at the root of your disc.

The only way I can see you getting round this is to see if there is any reference to it in setupldr.bin and/or txtsetup.sif and edit the name or location of the file.

Apart from this you can rename your I386 dir to something else with four letters.

So, instead of...

CDROOT\OPK1\I386

... you would just rename your I386 dir to OPK1

CDROOT\OPK1\

The simplest way to learn how to do this is to read the BartPE section in Flyakites Guide .

I hope this helps.

-kof94

Edited by kof94

• 2 weeks later...

i have looked at this before in the past and had no success but i had a concept that could possibly work.

use grub loader to mount an image to a drive that acts like the cd with the relevant winbom on it. as you know when you use OSCDIMG you can use the -o option to not put 2 copies of the same file on the disk to reduce the size.

let me know if you have any success as i would like to get it working too.

@Atheros

I don't think that your idea will work by itself, but maybe combining it with the info from here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294799/en-us

http://www.mcse.ms/message1142291.html

to it, it may work.

I have no answers, sorry :(, just some semi-random thoughts.

What if you mount with grub4dos a floppy image with a WINBOM.INI, will it be read ?

And what if you use the NewBomINI directive?

My guess is that the above can be combined with this idea from d4vr0s:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...c=20543&hl=

You simply use different floppy images...:unsure:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz