Open files in separate Excel windows

skylark53

How do you open files Excel files in separate windows? I've been through Options and Help, to no avail.

At home, when I open two (or more) Excel spreadsheets they each appear in their own window, so it's easy to compare/ cut & paste etc.

But not here at work, though I can see nothing diffrent in the setup. Puzzlement, frustration!

Thanks..... Sky

Hi Skylark53

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, nor if this will help you at all, but I have noticed that if you open two or more Excel files from Windows Explorer at the same time, they will open in separate windows and separate processes. If you use the File/Open command from within Excel they will open in 1 process. Or something like that. For further help, maybe you could try Microsoft Usergroups - I've had some great help there before with Excel.

Good luck!

Bannor

Hi Bannor,

Thanks for your thoughts!

What I want to do is use Explorer to go to the folder where I have my .xls, and when I click on each file, I want it to open in its own Excel window. At the moment, 2 or more files open as separate "sheets" in the same window.

Suppose you have 2 speadsheets open. To see file 2, you have first to collapse file 1 to a little bar at lower left of the Excel window, at whch point you see the other little bar representing file 2. You then click on "maximise" and file 2 expands to fill the window. It's a real pain.

Sky

Normally there is only one window with the two sheets in it and showing two files open on the taskbar.

First thing I would come up with is your taskbars "group same tasks" setting.

What OS are you using at home and work?

Hi there Punto,

I have "group similar tasks" set both at home and work. Yet I get separate Excel windows at home, but all files in one window at work.

O/S at home is XP home, at work it's XP Pro.

Sky

Edited by skylark53

Open Excel and go to the tab Tools, click Options, click View and set the checkbox active for "Windows in Taskbar".

I have a Spanish version here so I hope I wrote it right...

By the way, you can also use CTRL+F6 to switch between documents, not only in excel but also in other Office apps ;).

How do you open files Excel files in separate windows? I've been through Options and Help, to no avail.

At home, when I open two (or more) Excel spreadsheets they each appear in their own window, so it's easy to compare/ cut & paste etc.

But not here at work, though I can see nothing diffrent in the setup. Puzzlement, frustration!

Thanks..... Sky

he he, why dont' u try: Windows ---> Compare side to side with (your sheet). And then, you can choose Arrange (vertical, Horizontal, Cascade). :hello:

You can compare both:D