RunOnceEx Issues

wigadore

I have scripted a RunOnceEx.cmd file that I have ran each line seperately and had not issues installing all apps perfectly. I then took each line that I tested and compiled it into once file and test ran it. This time the install did not go too well. It appeared as if the arrow that points out which app is currently being installed ran rather rapidly and the installs did not complete. What did install was the Adobe Reader and the Symantec AntiVirus. That's it.

Just in case here is a copy of my runonceex.cmd file

@echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Customize Computer Build" /f

REG ADD %KEY%05 /VE /D "Rename PC to Dell Service Tag" /f

REG ADD %KEY%05 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\apps\rename\compname.exe /c ?s" /f

REG ADD %KEY%10 /VE /D "Adobe Reader 7" /f

REG ADD %KEY%10 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\apps\adobe\reader\setup.exe /S /v/qn" /f

REG ADD %KEY%15 /VE /D "Citrix Client 10.1" /f

REG ADD %KEY%15 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\apps\citrix\ica32pkg.msi /quiet /norestart /qn" /f

REG ADD %KEY%20 /VE /D "SMS Client" /f

REG ADD %KEY%20 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\apps\sms\client.msi /quiet /norestart /qn" /f

REG ADD %KEY%25 /VE /D "Microsoft Office XP" /f

REG ADD %KEY%25 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\apps\officexp\pro.msi /quiet /norestart /qns" /f

REG ADD %KEY%30 /VE /D "Symantec Anti Virus Corp 9" /f

REG ADD %KEY%30 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\apps\sav9\Symantec_Antivirus.msi SERVERNAME=******** ALLUSERS=TRUE /quiet /norestart /qn" /f

REG ADD %KEY%35 /VE /D "Flash Player 9" /f

REG ADD %KEY%35 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\apps\adobe\flash\flash9.msi /quiet /norestart /qn" /f

REG ADD %KEY%40 /VE /D "Shockwave 10" /f

REG ADD %KEY%40 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\apps\adobe\shockwave\shockwave10.msi /quiet /norestart /qn" /f

REG ADD %KEY%45 /VE /D "Java" /f

REG ADD %KEY%45 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\apps\java\java1_5_0_06.exe /S /v/qn" /f

REG ADD %KEY%50 /VE /D "System Cleanup" /f

REG ADD %KEY%50 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\apps\cleanup.cmd" /f

EXIT

Any help would be appreciated.

I build and do the software deploy with the administrator account yes. It is the only account on the local machine. Once done this machine will be on a domain controlled network and no login to the local machine is allowed.

REG ADD %KEY%05 /VE /D "Rename PC to Dell Service Tag" /f

REG ADD %KEY%05 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\apps\rename\compname.exe /c ?s" /f

I assume the '?s' is a typo on the post?

REG ADD %KEY%10 /VE /D "Adobe Reader 7" /f

REG ADD %KEY%10 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\apps\adobe\reader\setup.exe /S /v/qn" /f

Is that the Adobe installer that decompresses itself before installation? If so I seem to remember that once the decompression phase has finished it returns control (or it might have been dodgy script writing on my part!!). This means that when the Citrix Client installer starts to run it fails as there is already an installer running. Any subsequent .msi installers will fail until Adobe is finished.

An easy way to test whether the installer is returning control too early is to run it via a script. You might find it easier to use /qb for this rather than /qn...

@ECHO off
cls
ECHO ===============================
ECHO Test Control Return
ECHO ===============================
%systemdrive%\apps\adobe\reader\setup.exe /S /v/qn
ECHO Control returned
PAUSE
EXIT

Or you could just re-order the list. :)

I can't recall whether you can capture the return - I seem to recall I just extracted the msi instead.

Edited by lamaslany

An easy way to test whether the installer is returning control too early is to run it via a script. You might find it easier to use /qb for this rather than /qn...

Personally, I tend to use /qb for any MSI install anyway so I can see if the process hung or not. The only difference between /qn and /qb is that the latter shows you a progress bar.

@wigadore

Adobe has a utility on their site called the InstallShield Tuner 7.0 for Adobe Acrobat. You can use it to customize the Adobe Reader 7.x install so that it's completely silent without any switches (you do have to use the decompressed files though). You can even use it to configure certain options (auto-accept EULA, don't display first run options, etc).

If you move to Adobe Reader 8.x, the new utility is called the Adobe Customization Wizard 8. I'm actually curious why you're not using Adobe Reader 8.1.1. For that matter, I'm also curious why you're using an older version of JRE.

Also, on your SAV install, I would install it unmanaged. You can migrate it to a managed state by copying the GRC.DAT file from \\SERVERNAME\VPHOME\ into %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\. SAV watches for this file every so often (or you can force it to read it by restarting the service or rebooting the workstation). If/when it finds it then it reads the settings from it and adjust the client as necessary. That will make it fully managed with whatever settings you specify (including the uninstall password) using the Symantec System Center console. You can also use the MSI to install it instead of setup.exe...it'll give you a bit more control over the initial settings. Here are the settings I use to install SAV 10.1.6.6000. I'm pretty sure they work for SAV 9.x as well:

"<PATH>\Symantec AntiVirus.msi" /QB ENABLEAUTOPROTECT=1 RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=ReallySuppress

Personally, I tend to use /qb for any MSI install anyway so I can see if the process hung or not. The only difference between /qn and /qb is that the latter shows you a progress bar.

Me too. That and I get a deep feeling of satisfaction watching those little blue bars making their way across the screen... ;)

I assume the '?s' is a typo on the post?

This is not a typo. This is how the utility finds the service tag of the Dell PC and renames the Computer as that Service Tag. Without the ?s it only displays the Dell Service Tag.

I will try the /qb instead of the /qn and see what goes on visually. Thanks for that tip.

As for the Adobe version that is the version that is curently copr mandated and hence why I am installing it. In fact that is one app that does instll each time. I am missing Office and Citrix everytime I attempt the build. Symantec Antivirus installed without a glitch and I was doing the grc.dat and this way I found much easier.

I will post my findings after I test these changes. Thanks.

Just checking but are you installing from an administrative installation point (using the /a switch)? I don't think I have ever tried it without an administative installation point so I'm not sure whether it'll make any difference! :)

Probably (I don't have a copy of the necessary software):

Citrix Client 10.1

ica32pkg.msi /a

Office XP

setup.exe /a

Edited by lamaslany

REG ADD %KEY%45 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\apps\java\java1_5_0_06.exe /S /v/qn" /f

I'm not sure if this was a typo or not but I believe the Java entry should have quotations in it, like so:

REG ADD %KEY%\045 /VE /D "Java" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\045 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\apps\java\java1_5_0_06.exe /S /v\"/qn" /f

And another tip to /qb is to use /qb! which will remove the cancel button. I like to use it this way so that users can see progress, but not cancel the installation.

Edited by zorphnog

I'm not sure if this was a typo or not but I believe the Java entry should have quotations in it, like so:

REG ADD %KEY%45 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\apps\java\java1_5_0_06.exe /S /v\"/qn" /f

The java install works fine as I had it, but I have since updated it to the newest JRE. Thanks.

As for all the other issues. I have had no problems with the install since I changed all the msi to /qb. Thanks all.