Firefox is eating up memory.

foolios

One thing I do is open a lot of tabs and an extra firefox window or two to keep these categories of tabs seperated.

I know I can save all the tabs to a group, but I don't like closing my firefox windows.

The problem I am running into is that if my firefox window is open for a day or more, my system really gets bogged down(firefox slows down when transitioning between tabs and opening new pages).

I was wondering if there was a way to reset firefox so that I don't have to close the browser windows to do so. That's the way I've been doing it to free up the memory but I hate doing it.

Thanks in advance.

I think minimizing FF frequently frees up the memory it takes. Also if you have enable the session saver, you could just restart it and continue where you left off.

Where do I find this session saver setting?

EDIT: I found it under tools> main> how to start

Thank you

I see at an article:

* Browser.cache.memory.capacity

o Controls the maximum amount of memory to use for caching decoded images and chrome (application user interface elements).

o This determines if and how much system ram Firefox will use to cache itself. The element does not exist and has to be created. The default value is set to automatic which means that Firefox uses a certain amount of RAM by default. (values for Firefox 2.x)

+ 32 MB of RAM -> 2 MB

+ 64 MB of RAM -> 4 MB

+ 128 MB of RAM -> 6 MB

+ 256 MB of RAM -> 10 MB

+ 512 MB of RAM -> 14 MB

+ 1024 MB of RAM -> 18 MB

+ 2048 MB of RAM -> 24 MB

+ 4096+ MB of RAM > 32+MB

o You can tell Firefox to use another value by creating the element in about:config and assigning a different value (in KB) to it. It is also possible to turn this feature of by assigning the value 0 to it. This can greatly decrease the performance of Firefox and is not advised at all.

o To reduce memory consumption reduce the amount of RAM that is assigned to Firefox.

But I am wondering what will happen when it hits the high end of the memory? What if it maxes out, will firefox crash?

What would the MB be if I wanted to allocate 500MB of Ram to Firefox?

Edited by foolios

What would the MB be if I wanted to allocate 500MB of Ram to Firefox?

Don't worry, if you have enough stuff open it can reach 500MB. On the high end mine uses about 320MB, with alot of tabs open.

But why would you want to max it out? Just close the tab if you're not using it.

I meant that you can set the amount of max memory for firefox to use, that it will not use more.

And as answered, I guess, it will use the hdd instead of mem if it gets that high.

After changing some settings, like the maximum page history to 5, it seems ok. I'll keep an eye on it tomorrow after it's been open for a full day.

here is the tweak you want

from http://kb.mozillazine.org/Config.trim_on_minimize

about:config

right-click New>Boolean

config.trim_on_minimize

true

you can also disable the built in session restore if you dont use that

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Session_Restore#Disable

more reading material

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Memory_Leak

Thanks guys. I will give the last a try. I didnt find some of those mentioned.

So far with the max page history maxed at 5 and the max mem used changes haven't made much of a difference after a day of being open.

I am going to try cache set to disabled as mentioned and see how that works out.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...