RunOnceEx install list isn't showing!

You know the awfully pro-looking list over programs to be installed at RunOnceEx, like this link:

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/image/view/69/

...I just can't get it to show in my installation. The (about 30) programs installs all right, but it all happens with some blueish background just before the desktop loads, and with nothing on the screen but the bg (and some scattered cmd windows from the installs). Why is this? I want my RunOnceEx list!!

This is how the cmdlines.txt looks like:

[Commands]
"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nLite.inf,U"
"Programmer.cmd"
"Register.cmd"
"%systemroot%\Cursors\Aero.cmd"
"RunOnceEx.cmd"

And the (start of) RunOnceEx:

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\CD.txt SET CDROM=%%i:

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installerer noen kjekke programmer" /f

REG ADD %KEY%01 /VE /D "Fliqlo screensaver" /f
REG ADD %KEY%01 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Software\fliqlo.exe /VERYSILENT /SP-" /f

REG ADD %KEY%02 /VE /D "Rollercoaster Tycoon 2" /f
REG ADD %KEY%02 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Software\RCT2.exe" /f

Any idea?

I'm not sure where you got that picture from, but RunOnceEx does not have a GUI associated with it. I believe that picture is of a modified version of WPI (Windows Post-Installer). Check out their forum http://www.msfn.org/board/Windows_Post_Ins...rd_WPI_f93.html.

No, no. No WPI. And it is no traditional GUI, it is only a non-affectable list with an arrow pointing at the program being installed at the moment.

The image is linked from the RunOnceEx page in the excellent MSFN guide, Unattended Windows. Forgot to mention, when I run the RunOnceEx.cmd file, the list shows up as it should be right after next boot. It just wont do it during windows install.

I'm not sure where you got that picture from, but RunOnceEx does not have a GUI associated with it. I believe that picture is of a modified version of WPI (Windows Post-Installer). Check out their forum http://www.msfn.org/board/Windows_Post_Ins...rd_WPI_f93.html.

No, no. No WPI. And it is no traditional GUI, it is only a non-affectable list with an arrow pointing at the program being installed at the moment.

The image is linked from the RunOnceEx page in the excellent MSFN guide, Unattended Windows. Forgot to mention, when I run the RunOnceEx.cmd file, the list shows up as it should be right after next boot. It just wont do it during windows install.

Sorry, I was thinking of something else. I believe your use of the CDROM variable is the cause of your issue. When you add a registry entry using the reg.exe tool, it does not replace local variables with their associated value. Therefore, when you add that a registry entry with that variable it still stores it as %CDROM% instead of the value of CDROM. My suggestion would be something like this:

Commands.txt:

[Commands]
"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nLite.inf,U"
"Programmer.cmd"
"Register.cmd"
"%systemroot%\Cursors\Aero.cmd"
"MakeRunOnceEx.cmd"
"%systemroot%\RunOnceEx.cmd"
"del /f /q %systemdrive%\RunOnceEx.cmd"

MakeRunOnceEx.cmd:

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\CD.txt SET CDROM=%%i:

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
SET CMDFILE=%systemdrive%\RunOnceEx.cmd

echo cmdow @ /HID > %CMDFILE%
echo @echo off >> %CMDFILE%

echo REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installerer noen kjekke programmer" /f >> %CMDFILE%

echo REG ADD %KEY%\001 /VE /D "Fliqlo screensaver" /f >> %CMDFILE%
echo REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Software\fliqlo.exe /VERYSILENT /SP-" /f >> %CMDFILE%

echo REG ADD %KEY%\002 /VE /D "Rollercoaster Tycoon 2" /f >> %CMDFILE%
echo REG ADD %KEY%\002 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Software\RCT2.exe" /f >> %CMDFILE%

I believe your use of the CDROM variable is the cause of your issue.

Nah, don't think so. Same problem here. Used to work fine, until a more recent built where all of a sudden the screen would not appear, but the installation of the software did run, you just didn't see this window. I believe that Gray could be on to something. I guess it's a patch which blocks this window from showing up. Gray mentioned KB939653 in his post. I'll have a look this evening to see if I include it and what would happen if I wouldn't include it. Anyone else with a simular experience?

I believe your use of the CDROM variable is the cause of your issue.

Nah, don't think so. Same problem here. Used to work fine, until a more recent built where all of a sudden the screen would not appear, but the installation of the software did run, you just didn't see this window. I believe that Gray could be on to something. I guess it's a patch which blocks this window from showing up. Gray mentioned KB939653 in his post. I'll have a look this evening to see if I include it and what would happen if I wouldn't include it. Anyone else with a simular experience?

I know that a while ago people here were saying that IE7 was breaking RunOnceEx (do a search - there are quite a few references).

Anyway, I personally found that IE7 didn't break RunOnceEx, just that particular hotfix.

IE7 won't allow you to show that list with runonceex because the flag has to be set to 0x70 or 0x80.

here's what to do:

Make sure the flag youre using allows the popup

Add the registry entries and check runonceex, make sure the flag is right

run rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess

that'll process the runonceex key, see if you get a popup

if you do, then it's one of those hotfixes mentioned

-gosh

Edited by gosh

there is now a latest build of ie7 that can be downloaded from micrsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

the RunOnceEx problem is corrected in this build and no need of any workarounds.

I heard that too here, but all I can say is that even the latest version on the M$ site of IE7 broken my RunOnceEx when I integrated the hotfix.

zorphnog: Thanks for your suggestion, but I seriously doubt that. Until recently I had the install files copied to the hd, but rearranged it to save time when the total file size passed 700 MB. And as previously mentioned, they all install correctly.

Gray: That's interesting. Though I'm not integrating IE7, there's a couple of other possible culprits, i guess:

-directx 9c (august)

-.net 1.1

-.net 2.0

-The beta version of SP3 (3180) is slipstreamed into the mix. Lots of candidates in there, I guess.