need to remove annoying "Safely remove hardware" icon from s

Leeoniya

I have an internal media card reader plugged into a USB header on my mobo, and XP displays the "Safely remove hardware" icon in system tray all the time, even when i have no media cards inserted.

i know thwere is a registry tweak for nforce that specifies a sata drive as non-removable, so it does not cause the icon to appear.

is there a way to tell xp that the card reader is not removable or something else to prevent the **** icon from showing up all the time when there is no media inserted?

btw, i dont want to use the "hide inactive icons" crap.

thanks,

Leon

Edited by Leeoniya

• 3 weeks later...

I bought an internal card reader and have the same problem. One way that you can get rid of the icon is to right click on START...properties...click the Taskbar tab...click hide inactive icons...customize...then go to Safely remove hardware and pick always hide...then you can unclick hide inactive icons so it wont hide any if you dont want.

This isnt a real fix though because it hides the icon for everything and wont show up at all...i.e if you plug in a flash drive.

So if you know how to do it the right way just for the card reader, please post, it would be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

[off topic]

i dont have a card reader, but i do have sata drives (6 actually) that are showing up in the 'safely remove hardware' list that i would like to not show up. you mentioned a registry tweak that would mark these as non-removable. would you mind sharing? thanks.

--

JumperPunk

[off topic]

i dont have a card reader, but i do have sata drives (6 actually) that are showing up in the 'safely remove hardware' list that i would like to not show up. you mentioned a registry tweak that would mark these as non-removable. would you mind sharing? thanks.

--

JumperPunk

If you have a nForce chipset you can use this registry tweak to disable icon for sata drives :

I havn't found on msfn board but you can find the tip at http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/tweak-how-...on-vt66403.html

• 6 months later...
[off topic]

I am also experiencing this problem with my latest install of XP Pro using SiliconImages 3132 RAID drivers. It actually shows as a SCSI device in the list of devices. If anyone can suggest a possible fix in the initial slipstreamed build to prevent this or any after install fix that would be great.