Zonealarm with my windows...

im1knight

i have been using zonealarm before, however after i uninstalled it for a update(the auto updater is down for some reason), i can't install it back on....at first it says zonealarm is already installed, then i restarted computer now it says im not on an admin account(WHICH I AM ON). so uh.....anybody know how to fix this? without reformatting? or does anyone know some other good and free firewalls? tyvm :yes:

ok heres what i would do:

if you are still getting the message about it still being installed:

download Crap Cleaner (ok i would do this part because i already have it :) )

open CCleaner and goto the tools section

find Zonealarm in the list (if its there) and hit 'delete entry'

alternately, you can delete the 'zonelabs' or 'zonealarm' folders in the registry at this location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

this will make the program appear to not be installed and should allow you to install it

as for the message about not being admin, if you are running windows vista, right click the installer and select 'run as administrator'

if that still doesnt work or if your not running vista, hit Start+R and type services.msc

look through the list for anything that says zone alarm, zone labs, etc and if you find anything right click it and click stop.

then try your installer again.

but whatever you do, dont format you entire HD for a tiny software bug

I echo the above post. A reinstall is not necessary here. A registry entry is to blame. Ccleaner for the win!

As regards other firewalls = Comodo

But, the permissions may be corrupted. I came across a Windows XP installation where it won't allow access to a registry key, no matter what and can't uninstall software!

This may be some rootkit at work.