nLite 1.4 RC2 - Unattended Mode

gdshipp

In general setup if set the Unattended Mode to Fully automated, however, when I install the OS it still asks me how I want to partition the drive. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Fully automated <> Fully automated?

In general setup if set the Unattended Mode to Fully automated, however, when I install the OS it still asks me how I want to partition the drive. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
No.

Even if you choose the "Fully Automated" Unattended Mode, you are asked at the beginning of the OS Setup where you want to install the OS and get the opportunity to format the selected hdd partition. So this option is not really a "fully" automated installation. It has secutity reasons why nLite handles it like this, because otherwise the OS Setup would choose automaticly the partition where to get installed and you won't get the opportunity to choose it yourself, format or partition it previously etc.

If you want a really fully automated installation without being asked where and how you want to get the OS installed, you should do the following:

1. Run nLite, choose the "Fully Automated" Unattended Mode and do all needed entries.

2. Let nLite do its work, but without creating the ISO file.

3. Go into the nLited OS directory and search for the file WINNT.SIF file. You find it within the i386 folder.

4. Open the WINNT.SIF file by using the Editor (notepad) and look into the [Data] section. You will find an entry "Autopartition=0".

5. Replace the "0" by a "1". The new entry is "Autopartition=1" (without quotation marks).

6. Let nLite create the ISO file and burn it.

Now you get a really fully unattended bootable OS CD, but be aware of the fact, that you won't get the opportunity to choose the partition where the OS will be installed.

Edited by Fernando 1

I think this has been available in nlite once but just think : you copy the content of your cd to your computer, reboot, forget to remove the cd and go to the toilets waiting for your computer to reboot. When you're back, your computer has been formatted.

A bit risky no ?