Drive not ready system halted

Big Booger

I get this message upon every cold boot. I have a Pentium 4 1.6 Ghz, 256 800 mhz rambus, 80 gig HDD, panasonic FDD, Samsung DVD, etc...

I built this machine on my own, intel MOBO 850GB 423PIN, ASUS GEFORCE 64 MB TI AGP, Aopen platinum Sound card, etc...

every time on a cold boot I get that message. As soon as I hit reset the machine boots with no problems.

I thought this must be the IDE ribbon cable, it was an ATA 100 cable that came with the MOBO, I have a WESTERN DIGTIAL ATA100 drive. So I bought a standard ATA 66 cable just to check it out, still the exact same error. Never happens on a warm boot always on a cold.

I even set the bios to wait 12 secs, before beginning the boot, because I read somewhere the processor might be too fast for the drive, still, a no go.

ANyone have experience in this arena?

Thanks,

Big Booger

Have you tried another psu.I had the same fault on my machine a while back.I checked all the connections on the mobo,still no joy.Then fit a new psu and no problem since.

The transformer in a psu stores the current every time you shutdown,so that when you cold boot it doesn't put such an immediate strain on it.If the transformer is faulty it won't hold the charge.

One thing you can do before laying out for a new psu is,open it up and give the cooling fans a good clean.A lot of people clean the inside of their pc case,but seem to overlook the psu.Hope that helps Boogs.

Here's a link for possible other solutions;

http://www.geek.com/discus/messages/23/5227.html?1011321628

I'll be at the church on Sunday I promise, now that you have given me hold salvation through your years of prophecy! AMEN.

Seriously i appreciate it and tomorrow I am giving this a whirl. Thanks for the link and the PSU advice.

Big Booger

• 6 years later...
I get this message upon every cold boot.

every time on a cold boot I get that message. As soon as I hit reset the machine boots with no problems.

Reminds me of my 486 SX and Conner 240 MB HDD with AMI BIOS a long time ago. (Can't help it LOL)

It was normal for that HDD to take long to be ready. Same boat, pressing the reset button allows it to be accessible.