Resizing the background image according to screen resolution ?

Hi,

I'm new to web programming. But here's my question :

It is possible to resize the background image of a site in that order that it will suit all resolutions? With JavaScript ? Or with what ?

And if someone knows how, please write the code down so i only need to copy-paste it, because i don't know yet JavaScript.

Thnx in advance :) !

Perhaps this page may be of use :")

http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/backgroundfill.html

http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread503034.html

Wouldn't it be more convinient to just size it to the browser window size itself rather than to match desktop resolution?

Thnx, yeah, i would be. but if users exploring the web page who have other resolutions then me, that the page will screw-up.

I've got to disagree with you on that one, Ripken. Users with large screens will have a lot of wasted space, and users with smaller screens will have overflow issues. It's much better to use CSS for layout and let the page flow and adjust according to the resolution.

Anyhow, as for background, I'll cook something up this weekend when I have time.

well for the users with large screens, you will then end up with lots of white space all over the place and it can make the page lool ugly. also the design may look screwed up as well. and the majority of people dont have large screens. i code my sites for 1024x768. as for small screens, overflow issues? just use the scroll bar, my sites still look the same but u just need to scroll.