E6550 Temps @ Stock/Overclock

Gantlett

Hi everyone

I bought a new (and fast!) system about two weeks ago.

CPU=Core 2 Duo E6550

CPU Cooler=GlacialTech Igloo 5073 Silent 1700RPM Max. (nice and cheap 92mm fan :))

MB=Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R

RAM=2x1GB Kingston DDR2-800MHz CL5

GPU=Gigabyte GeForce 8400GS

CPU temperatures:

Stock 2.33GHz:

Idle=29 degrees

Load (100%)=59-60

Overclocked 2.975GHz(7x425MHz@1.2V/1.3V):

Idle=39-41

Load (100%)=60-61

I'm particularly worried about the load temperatures.

Are they not too high?

And what about idle @ 40 - is that OK?

Can my CPU live a long and joyful life at these temperatures?

Thanks a lot,

Gant.

Thank you!

But, what worries you about the second set of temps? The load temp is the same - I don't understand...

Also, on the CPU's spec page it says max temp = 72 (sounds too high to me too, but that's what Intel says...).

Is the fan I have not good in your opinion? It seems quite efficient, but I may be wrong.

BTW - I had to raise the VCore in one notch - that's what caused the idle temp to raise so much. At stock vcore the system wasn't stable enough (it wouldn't wake after sleep), even at 400x7.

Thanks again.

Edited by Gantlett

Can Prime95 pass?

I haven't tried it.

I'm using Lavalys Everest Ultimate Edition to stress test the CPU. I guess it's not a good indication of data integrity though.

Using Prime is a great idea, but first I need to lower my temps drastically.

I´m sure the stock cooler does better ;).

I doubt it! :)

Actually, it does look better then the GlacialTech, but I don't like the idea that it doesn't have a back plate to hold the fan in the back of the motherboard. It is quite heavy and I don't like the thought of all this weight falling on the board.

I decided I'll go for a Zalman 8700 probably.

It's quite expensive, but I think i won't have a choice - the inside of my PC is quite crowded. I've got 4 hard drives, a passively cooled display card and two more PCI cards... Plus I want to overclock, and this fan cools all the components as well as the CPU (allegedly :)).

Thank you all.

Edited by Gantlett

Hey everyone

Got myself a nice Zalman 8700 LED yesterday after reading a lot of reviews and considering other models / solutions.

I have to say, the reviews aren't over enthusiastic and do not portray this cooler as an absolute leader over its competitors.

But I had some great experience with Zalman's products in the past so I decided it's worth the shot.

I just finished installing the cooler and a few minutes ago closed my PC.

I immediately ran the same stress test I ran with the previous cooler (Everest Ultimate Edition 4), and the results are simply put - incredible:

Core2Duo 2.33GHz Overclocked to 2.975GHz (7x425MHz@1.2V/1.3V):

Idle=29-31

Load (100%)=39-40

As you can see, this is an AMAZING result!

Idle temp has gone 10 degrees down and load has gone 21 degrees down !!!

:thumbup

Now I have to admit that when I disassembled the GlacialTech cooler I noticed that the thermal grease was only spread on half of the CPU, but thermal grease helps cool an extra +/- 5 degrees, so this is still an absolutely huge improvement.

At 75$ this thing didn't come cheap (costs like half of my CPU), but I swear it was worth every penny! :rolleyes: