Scanning bug?

kassius

Hi there!

I followed nLite's development about a year ago and back then I was stuck with an odd problem - nLite would freeze while scanning the WinXP folder. it would find the version, language, service pack, etc. just fine, but it stopped responding while calculating size.

today, almost a year later, I found that the same problem is still there, in version 1.3.5 of nLite. just as before, I tried it with Windows XP Pro SP2 CD and another Windows XP Pro 2002 CD, but it still acts the same.

I am running fresh installed Windows XP Pro 2002 SP2 on my laptop with Centrino 1.5GHz, 1GB of RAM and Intel 855GM integrated graphics. I don't think more hardware info would be of any use.

please let me know if anyone has a solution for this.

I followed nLite's development about a year ago and back then I was stuck with an odd problem - nLite would freeze while scanning the WinXP folder. it would find the version, language, service pack, etc. just fine, but it stopped responding while calculating size.

shifty.gif

Dont understand why you are having freezing problems as I have tried latest version out using Windows XP Pro SP2 CD also and adding hotfixes and dont have this problem.

Maybe you are removing to many components.? I just remove Language folder along with Outlook Express and Internet Explorer which improves security plus a few other basic tweaks and able to test 3 Cds with latest version.

Only thing I did notice when installing Win Xp it gives a black flicker on screen at 13 minute install period. Otherwise installs fine.

shifty.gif

Dont understand why you are having freezing problems as I have tried latest version out using Windows XP Pro SP2 CD also and adding hotfixes and dont have this problem.

Maybe you are removing to many components.? I just remove Language folder along with Outlook Express and Internet Explorer which improves security plus a few other basic tweaks and able to test 3 Cds with latest version.

Only thing I did notice when installing Win Xp it gives a black flicker on screen at 13 minute install period. Otherwise installs fine.

no, zipzap, I don't even get to the part where I'm supposed to remove or add stuff to the installation. I copied the contents of the Windows XP cd into folder D:\xpcd. when I select that folder at the "Locating the Windows installation" screen, it starts recognizing the product name, language, service pack, version, etc. but in the end all that is left unrecognized is the size (the last property of the installation), and then nLite starts eating my processor's time (task manager shows 90-95%).

nuhi, I turned off my anti-virus software and even disabled my firewall! :) nothing seems to help, nLite gets stuck.

Edited by kassius

kassius, very weird. Try in cmd "chkdsk /f x:" where the x is that drive where the files are.

It just collects file sizes...unless yours hangs after that while refreshing other stuff.

Try moving nlite.ini and last session.ini (in presets) to some other folder temporary and run nlite fresh.

Also use 1.4 rc.

kassius, very weird. Try in cmd "chkdsk /f x:" where the x is that drive where the files are.

It just collects file sizes...unless yours hangs after that while refreshing other stuff.

Try moving nlite.ini and last session.ini (in presets) to some other folder temporary and run nlite fresh.

Also use 1.4 rc.

nLite seems to hold a grudge against my laptop. :)

I tried the 'chkdsk /f d:', it reported nothing unusual. My disk is fine, it says. Tried moving nlite.ini, that didn't help either. I couldn't find the file 'last session.ini', but I guess that's because every time I started nLite it crashed (stopped responding)...

Just installed 1.4 RC, right now it's doing exactly the same thing as the other versions. Too bad, I really wanted to try my countryman's software. :)

Before, I used to see a couple more guys with the same problem, but now it seems I'm on my own. Bummer... :realmad:

Thanks for your help guys! :hello:

Dude, I had similar problem, and it was due my Windows. After I reinstalled it, nLite worked fine.

Cheers ;)

thanks for the advice mara, but it still didn't work. :rolleyes: I reinstalled Windows, even tried a different version of Windows, still the same error... I'll have to try it on my friends' laptops, see if it does the same thing. I know it works fine on desktops.