Real world speeds in company

Ponch

Hello, very quick question.

What's a "normal" company network speed between a server and a worstation (100Mbit NIC) ?

I mean for instance for a 100Megabytes folder with about 200 files, goes in

~25sec from server to workstation and in

~15 sec copied back to server

Is this normal speed ?

What's causing the difference ? AV ?

Computer and HDD speeds should not be a factor as they are from 2006. Thanks. I know I could do the math but maybe someone has a direct and clear idea. ;)

Computer and HDD speeds should not be a factor as they are from 2006.
Are very much a factor. How "old" it is has nothing to do with it. If you have crap parts in a new computer it's going to be slower then very high performance parts in an old computer... and yes, the parts you have can limit your ability to upload.

I'll reshape my statement then: computer and HDD speeds should not be a factor "in this case" as it is an almost new 80Gig SATA with plenty of free space in a Xeon 2.8GHz comp.

First, there's no way we can tell you what the speed/time should be because there are too many variables in any network. My gigabit network might transfer files slower than your 100MBit (man, i hope not, but it's possible). That said, there a number of factors that will affect write speed. In fact, too many to list here I'm sure.

Antivirus certainly can affect write speed because each file would have to be inspected. A server will generally have beefier components, so it makes sense that it would write quicker than the workstation. Bandwidth usage at the time of transfer, any other services running on the workstation (or server for that matter) that would suck CPU cylces or hard drive access time.

• 1 month later...