Weird Timer Problem, or Dying HDD

j7n

I'm not sure in which subforum would this issue fit actually. I am running WinXP SP1.

Recently my server computer (always on) started acting up. Occasionaly it locks up for few seconds so that nothing works – no mouse input, no audio playback, as if time suddenly stood still for my machine. In a few seconds the computer resumes and works normally for 10 or 20 seconds; then it pauses again, etc. After I quit two heavy applications: Direct Connect and eMule the problem disappears. But soon after those programs are launched again the trouble comes back.

This configuration (OS + apps + same hardware) worked flawlessly before for weeks w/o reboot. I can't guess what I did wrong. Only major changes I performed was set the priority to "System cache" and "Background services" in System CPL applet. I also ran a couple of programs that were in High priority and consumed all CPU for a few hours, before I noticed.

I noticed a similar effect on my other computer running same set of software. On a few occasions a single virtual core (Hyperthreading P4) would consume 100% cpu; mouse pauses for a moment once about every 4 seconds. It happened only a couple of times, but that comp does not run for more than 10h ever.

Has anybody seen this? Any explanations?

Edited by j7n

I haven't tried safe mode. The problem manifests itself after the computer has worked for some time. Didn't want to take the computer offline for that long.

The Event Viewer is full of "disk" Warnings, and "i8042prt" messages under System. They have the times of about when the problem last appeared. No properties are available. Maybe it's because my system is heavily nLite'd.

A failing harddisk?