Asus Striker Extreme vs Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS ?

larasa

Im trying to decide between the Asus Striker Extreme vs Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS to go in my new system with a pentium Quad Core Q6600 + 2-4 GB Ram. The P5N is around £90 and Stricker Extreme is going for £145....as the price difference is not major, money is not an object here. Im simply trying to make my system future proof for at least 5 minutes :wacko: and I really dont want to wish id gone for the other option a few months down the line and shell out all over again. I dont mind spending the extra but is it worth it?

Ive read amillion reviews, articles and forum posts but still cant make up my mind (feels like the hardest decision ive had to make lol)

The system will be used for heavy-ish desktop applications such as Photoshop, Dream weaver as well as other web and graphic design applications, usually simultaniously. Im currently running a pentium D system of 3.4Ghz and 2GB Ram but feels more like a pentium 2 on 256mb....I really need more horse power.

Which one would you go for? and why?

P.S. I prob will look into overclocking the system at some stage also.

Edited by larasa

well it will prolly be around $200 USD

Where'd you get that number? There are plenty of P35 based systems that came out at far less than $200 USD.

Personally, I wouldn't go with either. I'd rather go with a decent Intel chipset over nVidia. If you get a P35 system with the ICH9R chipset (not the ICH9), then you should be good to go for a while. Mind you, X38 will provide some more futureproofing - PCIe 2.0 for example. I'm guessing that the current limitation in your system right now is simply a lack of RAM, given the list of applications you mentioned.

And it's "probably..." Adding those extra two letters isn't too hard, is it? :P

Naa, 2GB should be enough for web design, not a picture of 2*2 meters at 300dpi with loads of layers or so :P. I’m sure a new install on that PC would do the trick if it feels slow.

By the way, I would not buy a Asus Striker Extreme: That’s for people who OC a lot. But then, you are better of with a 965P or a P35 based motherboard ;).